Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my computer is sooo messed up help please  (Read 3959 times)

aces67

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    my computer is sooo messed up help please
    « on: October 23, 2005, 10:13:32 AM »
    Okay I have a Compaq that I only paid 595.00 for and it's  a year and a half old. Since I didn't give all that much for it I don't want to sink alot in it getting it repaired.

On Thursday night I tried to download music from WalMart.com. It prompted me to download a newer version of Media Player. I did and then my computer starting shutting down on it's own in the middle of stuff. I tried running spybot and adaware and it didn't find anything. I tried to run Norton AntiVirus but the computer wouldn't stay on long enough to let it run. I did system restore and now I can't reinstall my Norton Antivirus..it says there is files missing. I also can't download updates from Microsoft because I keep getting error message and my internet won't work right. Alot of times I have to go to a webpage 3-4 times before the page comes up. The rest of the time I get a message that says page not found.

What is going on?? I have Windows XP by the way. The Microsoft site did let me run the Malicious software tool but it didn't find anything wrong either.

THanks
    Amanda

aces67

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      Re: my computer is sooo messed up help please
      « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 10:29:44 AM »
      Also, I just realized it's still freezing up for no reason. I mean it permanently freezes and I have to cut it off at the tower.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 11:01:59 AM »
      So do you have a Windows CD or a restore CD? It may be so screwed up that is what is necessary. After a year and a half it might be a good idea anyway. Any important data that needs to be backed up?
      « Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 01:00:20 PM by GX1_Man »

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
        « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 11:24:58 AM »
        Have you tried getting into safe mode to test the system?
        Does the system shut off and stay off or reboot itself?
        Try leaving the systemin the BIOS for an hour to test it. If it doesnt reboot then it's most likely software related.

If you want to remove norton then download the symnrt removal tool: http://search.symantec.com/custom/us/query.html

It's norton's tool to remove itself. Then reinstall norton after a reboot.
        A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

aces67

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 01:58:42 PM »
          After it freezes up it will turn off and then restart on it's own. As far as I can remember it didn't come with a restore cd. There is just a program built into the computer that restores it.

Amanda

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 02:03:42 PM »
          Back up your data. It might be time.....

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 12:24:18 AM »
            I'll go by that Safe Mode option.

You can also try running a scan in safe mode if it allows you to.
            Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

Mac

My computer is so messed up
            « Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 12:52:51 AM »
            Can you get into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key as you start up to remove the Norton Anti-Virus and then re-install it, if the computer will boot back to the desktop?

What is the drive size?

How much RAM is fitted?

Which Processor does it have?

Have you used the Recovery system before?

How about doing a clean install to a partitioned drive and then making a drive image before adding any programs?

That way you can restore easily without having to rely on the Compaq recovery system.

The same can be said for all OEM installs.
            « Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 12:53:33 AM by Mac »

LisaAnton

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 05:16:03 PM »
            When was the last time you ran defrag?The file you downloaded may be taking up more space than necessary. If you defrag, (Clean up your storage) then it will free up space you obviously need. Then go into your control panel and try to install Norton again.
            Good luck!!

akfaka

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 07:20:04 PM »
            Well, you comp sounds so messed up I think you need a clean installation!!! But before you do that, are you able to back up your important files to a a disk such as a CD or another computer?

The other thing is always use a generic OS from Microsoft, not the one that comes wit your comp.