Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Minecraft and Windows 8  (Read 7013 times)

casadilla1

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Minecraft and Windows 8
    « on: May 13, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »
    I play the game Minecraft on my laptop, and I enjoy playing multi-player games with it. I used to have a Toshiba laptop though I'm not sure what operating system it had. When I played on the Toshiba when I'd be moving in the game I could click just fine and it'd work. However, I recently bought a Dell that uses Windows 8 and when I'm standing still in the game I can click and it'll work just fine. However, when I'm moving in the game (holding down one or two of the keys a, s, d, or w to do so) when I click the player doesn't respond to the click. Normally he'd swing the item in his hand but his hand doesn't move at all. The rest of the game works just fine, it's only that one aspect. I think it may have something to do with the mouse settings but I know nothing about computers so I'm not sure. How might one correct such a problem?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Minecraft and Windows 8
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »
    There was a bug patch for game issues with Windows 8. Which may have actually been part of the Windows 8.1 upgrade.

I bought an ASUS Laptop with Windows 8 and had some issues with ( different game ) World of Warcraft controls which only happened when I was using a combination of keys on keyboard with mouse at the same time. I heard about Windows 8 having bugs with games with controls and that there was a patch that Microsoft released that fixed a known issue. I fully patched Windows 8 and it was still acting up. I then upgraded to Windows 8.1 for free and still had issues.

I then tried a different USB mouse and still had the same issue with different brand mouse. With no cure in sight to this issue, I downgraded to Windows 7 64-bit on this same laptop changing nothing else with it. Installed World of Warcraft and then fired up the game and the control issues were gone... YAY I can finally play the game without control problems.

It seems as though it may be more of a driver issue than Windows 8 or 8.1 issue though because I had friends in my guild who also were running Windows 8 with World of Warcraft and they didnt have these combination keyboard/mouse control issues when both were used at the same time.

So you can try performing all Microsoft updates and see if that fixes it. You can also check with Dell to see if there are any driver updates to perform to fix for problems. You can also try upgrading to Windows 8.1 and see if that fixes it..... but in the end, the fix may be downgrading to Windows 7 like I had to do to fix the problem.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Minecraft and Windows 8
    « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 02:11:10 AM »
    I'm fairly certain this is a touchpad setting, such that it disables itself while you are typing. Purpose being to prevent the common problem where you will be typing away and then suddenly your wrist brushes the touchpad enough to register a tap-click and then you are suddenly typing somewhere else in the document.

On Windows 8 you can access this setting by pressing the Windows key, then type "touchpad" in the search. The first result should be "Choose whether to have a touchpad delay" and should bring you to a configuration page that allows you to set the delay to "None".
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.