Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Now I need advice on backup.  (Read 3940 times)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Now I need advice on backup.
« on: February 05, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »
Now that my portable external hard drive is working I have backed up about 300 GB of data.   Mostly music and personal files.  In the future, when I change some of these files I will want to back up my work periodically.    What is a good method of doing this selectively without having to check the latest date on everything in the backup disk to find out what needs replacing and what doesn't?  Am I making sense here?   Maybe not.  I never was a very good organizer.    Any suggestions (comments welcome too)? 
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Now I need advice on backup.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
I always suggest disc imaging software. You can always create incremental backups in between full backups. Personally, I just prefer to make new full images on a weekly basis. It can be done in the background and is the best possible way to protect your files and system.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »
Agreed...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 05:54:29 PM »
An alternative for those that like alternatives.
Let's say one has a library on the computer in a specific directory.
Furthermore,  the external drive is NOT an image or compressed folder.
In such case,  a synchronization can be used.  Changes in  the source will go overt to the backup drive.
The link below is for Vista.
How to keep your information in sync
Keeping track of all your information can become a chore if you keep your files in different locations. Perhaps you store some files on a computer, others in folders on a network server, and still others on mobile devices such as portable music players, personal digital assistants (PDAs), or mobile phones.

How can you be certain you’re working with the most recent versions of your files when you have copies scattered everywhere? And how can you make sure you have all the files you want on the computer, server, or mobile devices you use without spending a lot of time copying files manually? The easiest and most efficient way is to sync your files automatically using Sync Center
For Windows 7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-sync-center
Just trying  to help. ;)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 10:25:37 AM »
ALLAN , GEEK, and PATIO:  Thank you all for your response.  Now I've got more problems.  While I was fumbling around try to do as you suggested I inherited a thing called "TUVARO"  with Bing.  I suppose I have to open another  thread in another area to address this.  This thing really messes me up on line.  It consistently changes my home page and only allows me to access one website before going into a continuous loop.  I have to get off line, scan for critical malware, ( I use Malwarebytes Anti Malware  Pro) delete what I find (usually about 9 to 11 issues), and get back on line once more for the next web site.  Sheeze   :P
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »
jim.mar

You  got bit by a cyber snake.

Moderator, please help jim.mar get malware  help

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:28:38 PM »
Hi

I like to use a program called unstoppable copier from roadkil.net from here http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

It has the ability to create batch files to only copy new files or changed files so after the first backup thereafter it is really quick.

At some stage while your computer is working it is worth while to do a full image of the computers hard drive. For this I would use Paragon drive backup home or Minitool partition wizard with both you can backup within windows but I make a boot cd from  the program and use that to do the backup. This insures the usb harddrive is detected and that you have some way to boot the computer without reloading windows and the backup software.

Paragon from here  http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/
Minitool from here http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru