Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I output two different sets of speakers on the same sound card?  (Read 3297 times)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
I have a stereo splitter i bought on ebay for a dollar, its basicaly a cable with 1male 2female.
I am told it splits the audio quality in half also.
I have 6 holes on my aluratek sound card, and only one is used (speakers:green for my logitech 2.1 sound) the rest: aux:blue, mic:pink, orange, black ,grey.
The question is: can i use another hole to output a second set of speakers (my sony amplificator and two quality sound columns).
Question 2 : i also have an old soundcard (creative live! audigy 24bit) can i add it to the motherboard and play sounds from two sound cards at the same time.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Can I output two different sets of speakers on the same sound card?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
Hi

Windows only supports 1 sound card at a time so in answer to question 2 no that's not possible.

If your amp has headphone and speaker outputs and they can be switched to both work at the same time you could plug your analogue pc speakers into the headphone socket and use it like that .

When you plug anything into the sound card do you see a pop up asking what the device is ?
As you may be able to use different sockets on the sound card to drive the amp and PC speakers.

For more information how to do that I would need the amp model and the sound card model.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

Salmon Trout

Re: Can I output two different sets of speakers on the same sound card?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »
I am told it splits the audio quality in half also.

Put simply, the splitter would share the signal level between the two outlets, and therefore potentially reduce the power to each, but it would do nothing to the quality. I have such a splitter. One outlet is connected to a pair of desktop speakers, the other goes to my hi-fi system.