Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dvd drive not being recognized  (Read 2641 times)

STC

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
dvd drive not being recognized
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:50:20 PM »
I've noticed this problem since i got a SSD and installed windows 8.

In 2010 (i think) i made this computer

msi motherboard
amd x2 phenom ii 3.2ghz black edition processor
4gb ddr3 ram
radeon 5670hd gpu
750gb hdd
litescribe dvd drive

when windows 8 came out i got a 124gb SSD and installed windows 8 on it, and used my old HDD (with windows 7) as a backup storage while i used my SSD (with windows 8) as primary/games that i want to load fast.

However this is where the problems started, first my dvd drive would randomly disappear, then reapper when i restarted the computer.

When I take the SSD out and run windows 7 it seems to work perfectly (however recently i nuked my HDD with windows 7 to use it as storage)

I have checked the SATA ports and cords and they all work just fine, when I start the comptuer I can see the dvd drive in the bios is recognized, but when i get into windows 8 and go to my computer, tehre is no dvd drive.

i tried getting drivers but the litescribe website is no longer active (i'm guessing they went out of business?)

so does that mean my litescribe dvd player is not windows 8 compatible and I should get a different optical drive?

I'm scared that if I get another drive I may run into the same problem, so been thinking of getting a USB drive, what is the disadvantage of having a USB drive over a internal optical drive?

is there any other solutions you guys got?

thanks
~STC

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: dvd drive not being recognized
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 07:42:35 PM »
You might have a power supply issue. Just a wild guess.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:35:11 PM »
DVD drives haven't required drivers since XP came out...so drivers nor Win8 are the issue...
My guess is the old drive is getting ready to fail completely.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

STC

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 02:15:55 AM »
You might have a power supply issue. Just a wild guess.

My powersupply is a 450watt corsair, So far it was running fine, and even before the SSD it was perfect, and even when i take the old HDD out and have just the SSD it does seem to look like its struggling on power, do you think I need a bigger power supply?

btw, if I got a bigger power supply, would it consume more electricity/increase my electricity bill?

what is tigerdirects return policy? If i got a new drive and ahve the same problems would I be able to return it?
~STC

STC

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:08:24 AM »
Edit- I mean to say it does not seem to be struggling for power at all

Should I get a USB DVD drive or try another internal drive?
~STC