Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how re-install picture viewer in W98?  (Read 4303 times)

cdc

how re-install picture viewer in W98?
« on: October 26, 2005, 07:49:44 PM »
I'm trying to help my mother-in-law with her computer - which is an old Compaq cyrix686 running windows 98.  The MS picture viewer is missing and I've tried to re-install it.  I'd like to do this because I think it is the simplest viewer I've seen vs. others that do editing, etc. etc.  She has the original Compaq full restore disk and a w98SE MS CD.  I have a w98 MS CD too.  

1.  Did W98 come with it in the first place?
2.  When I use ControlPanel/AddRemovePrograms the viewer doesn't show up on the list so I can't select it for installation.  It may buried in the .cab files on the w98 CD, but it seems the OS will only look for what's already on the system or on a default list (perhaps).  Even if I knew which .cab file it was in how would I get add/remove to find it?
3.  Are there other ways I can get this program and install it?
4.  I'm shy about using the Compaq restore disk because I'm guessing I can't selectively restore just the one program instead of re-loading and changing everything.  

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: how re-install picture viewer in W98?
    « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 09:59:47 PM »
    cdc.....
    This might be an alternative ......
    http://www.aboriginemundi.com/ip/

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

cdc

Re: how re-install picture viewer in W98?
    « Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 10:07:17 PM »
    Thanks for the pointer. I'll look at it.
    I'm also looking at IrfanView.

For my learning, can anyone explain the add/remove quandry I mentioned?