Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why are my screens flickering?  (Read 4332 times)

sch518

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Why are my screens flickering?
    « on: February 12, 2014, 02:37:07 PM »
    Last night I was playing a game and all three of my screens started flickering and having random horizontal lines on them. On the center monitor (main display) the right half of the screen moved to the left side and the left half moved to the right, it effected the mouse scrolling too. Then the screens went dark, so I rebooted, started memtest and went to sleep. I ran memtest again while I was at class today and did not get any errors either time.

I tried playing the game again and got the flickering and this time a BSOD with a APC_INDEX_MISMATCH error (no number code). Then I checked a different game to see if the flickering still happened and it did. The computer runs fine up until I start a game so I am thinking the problem is with my video card.

Any ideas on how I can prove it's the video card before I go spend money on a new one?

Thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Why are my screens flickering?
    « Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:02:54 PM »
    If you are running 3 monitors i think we'll need some more info on the rig...

Also it'll be helpful to Post the entire BSOD including the gibberish...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:03:07 PM »
    That APC error can also be a weak power supply. As games get intense the CPU and Video Cards draw more power and if the power supply is borderline then it can cause this problem.

What do you have for hardware make/model computer or if custom built all specs of the build including videocards make/model and power supply make/model and wattage?

sch518

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 02:15:29 PM »
      Yeah I probably should have put the specs in the first post, sorry.

Phenom II 1090T
      Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
      16 GB ram
      550 Watt power supply
      Radeon 6850 1GB
      running Windows 8.1 and whatever the current Ubuntu version is

The flickering happens in both Windows and Ubuntu so I know its a hardware problem. I built the computer about 3 years ago and the only problem I have had is a ram failure about 2 years ago but I fixed that and it has been fine. Nothing is overclocked. Everything was working fine then it just randomly started crashing.

The APC message was all the screen said that I can remember and I can't get it to happen again. Instead of the BSOD the monitors each turn a different solid color (pink, green and black) until I reboot.

I took out the video card to try and see if it would still crash but it is hard to tell. The computer never crashed but the games didn't really load because the mobo GPU (not sure if I am saying that right) is not very good.

Is it possible that my video card just suddenly died on me? Maybe a vram address is no good?

Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
      For 3 monitors.... are you running 2 video cards with crossfire or is the 3rd display getting its video from integrated video? If your running 2 video cards to have the 3 displays then the 550watt power supply to me seems too weak with the power hungry CPU and video cards and I'd go with a 650watt or higher PSU.

sch518

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »
        Its just the one video card and I am using the displayport, hdmi and one of the two dvi inputs all in the 6850. Sometimes I have them setup using Eyefinity and sometimes not, both ways have worked fine. I know the power supply is not ideal even for the one video card and I am working on replacing it. Dumb question but do power supplies degrade over time? Everything was working fine so can the power supply just be wearing out and not be able to power everything like it used to?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »
        When a PSU is being taxed heavily all sorts of wierd things can happen...including vid artifacting.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »
        When a PSU is being taxed heavily all sorts of weird things can happen...including [artifacts]
        Right.
        Also, otter devices can interfere. Printer, external HDD, poor connections. Improper shielding.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 11:12:06 AM »
        Well he mentioned the wattage...not the Brand.
        I suspect a budget PSU is in play here...probably puts out 375 at best...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 11:34:16 AM »
        It has been mentioned elsewhere,  a home technician needs a good VOM. Thee are many good ones out there are low prices
        A video tutorial.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBbgiBU96mM

sch518

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
          Oh sorry about that. It's a Cooler Master PSU. So I guess I should replace that with one with a bigger wattage and hopefully that will work.

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 04:13:33 PM »
          I agree with replacing the power supply with a heavier wattage, however the cheaper brands sometimes fall short of the actual wattage that they can maintain. I have a cooler master in one of my systems which was a cheap 460 watt PSU, but I am also not pushing it to 90 or 100% of the rating. I'd say that the cooler master might be closer to actual 400watts and I wouldnt trust it for a heavy load given it was bought really cheap.

I'd get like a Corsair TX series PSU, although they can be more than most are willing to spend for a PSU. They also have the CX series that are good, but lower end name brand but budget build grade.

Also interesting that you can use the HDMI as a 3rd video source. I never tried using HDMI as a dual or tripple display, I have only used it as a way to send a single audio/video feed to the 36" flatscreen tv in the livingroom when gaming or watching video content that the blu-ray doesnt offer in its preprogrammed streaming menu.

sch518

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 06:07:24 PM »
            Alright thanks for the help guys. I should be able to get a new psu with my next paycheck so hopefully that fixes the problem.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 07:19:09 AM »
            I would see if you can borrow a known good one of the same or greater wattage to test 1st...