Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My other HD is not reading anymore  (Read 4539 times)

Sankev

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• "ET IN ARCADIA EGO"
    My other HD is not reading anymore
    « on: July 30, 2004, 03:21:21 PM »
    [glb][/glb]Hello
    I had a problem with my HD C:\, I couldn't recover it, so, because it had just 3GB capacity and just WindowsXP installed I got rid of it, I have 2 other HD D:20GB & E:80GB (partitioned in E:38GB & F:38GB-sort of) where I had all my music, my own graphics (3d, Photoshop). My solution was install Windows into D:\(now C: Master) it worked it! but my E:\ (E,F) is telling me that is not formatted..! seems that my files are gone, true?? Should I format it or what else I can do?
    -Note, jumpers are ok, E: is Master & CD-RW Slave, C: right now is the only Master.
    Please any suggestions?

Sankev :o[glb][/glb]
    WinXP Home Edition
    Intell Pentium4 2GHz
    Asus P4P800S ATX Intel 848P
    250GBHd 2GB DDR SDRAM
    ATI Radeon™ 9800 PRO

merlin_2

Sankev

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• "ET IN ARCADIA EGO"
      Re: My other HD is not reading anymore
      « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 02:24:07 PM »
      Thank you merlin_2  ::)

But I don't want to format or Partition it yet, I want to recover my files that were there before...
      I know how to use Disk Management and all of that, I just want to make my PC reads again everything was in drive E:

Sankev  ;D
      WinXP Home Edition
      Intell Pentium4 2GHz
      250GBHd 2GB DDR SDRAM
      ATI Radeon™ 9800 PRO

MalikTous

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 03:09:37 PM »
      First, make sure that your hd82 (your 80GB drive set as Master on 2nd adaptor) hasn't been accidentally disconnected from the flat data cable or its power connector during the changing of the drives. It shouldn't be seeing this sort of problem.

You may get better speed from this drive by making it hd81, you change the hd80 (20GB) drive jumper to master with slave and the jumper on the hd81 (80GB) to slave - or both to cable select if your 80-line UDMA cable is a CS-type.

Go into your BIOS (delete, F1, F2, F10, Escape, or Control key during a bootup) and see if the 80GB drive recognises. If not, shut down, then unplug, then reconnect, the flat cable and 4 pin power feed to the drive and try again.

Sankev

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• "ET IN ARCADIA EGO"
        « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 04:20:30 PM »
         :)
        Thank you MalikTous, i'll try that as soon as i get home

Sankev
        WinXP Home Edition
        Intell Pentium4 2GHz
        250GBHd 2GB DDR SDRAM
        ATI Radeon™ 9800 PRO

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 04:26:53 PM »
        Click Start, Run and enter %systemdrive%\Recycler.  Under this folder you'll see sub folders with names like:
        S-1-5-21-1085031214-854245398-1060284298-1003

One of these is your user's Recycle Bin folder, you'll have to determine which.  Then open a Command Prompt Window and type: Start/Run and type in: CMD

CD\Recycled\<name of the sub folder>
        Next type DIR      part one  part  two next........

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 04:27:24 PM »
        Locate the files with the file extension that you wish to recover. There may be more than one of the same type. These files will all be DC??.xxx where ?? is a number and xxx is the file extension.

Use the COPY command to copy all of the matching files out. For example:  COPY *.DOC C:\Temp

to copy all DOC files to C:\Temp. Now you can open these files and find the one(s) that you wanted to retrieve.  Once you've retrieved all the files that you need, type the following command:  ATTRIB -S -H -R INFO2

INFO2 is a hidden file that holds the information on files in the Recycle Bin. This is the file that has been corrupted. Next type:  DEL INFO2

This removes the corrupted INFO2 file. Don't worry, it will be recreated automatically by Windows. Now, empty the Recycle Bin. The next time you delete a file, if not before, INFO2 will be recreated and your Recycle Bin will function normally.

microsoft extract<copywrite 2002>