Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can i display a different window on my tv from my laptop?  (Read 3327 times)

lel

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    How can i display a different window on my tv from my laptop?
    « on: February 15, 2014, 11:38:21 AM »
    basically i have my laptop connected to my tv with a hdmi cable.

i want to be able to play a movie on my laptop to my tv whilst doing my work on my laptop

i need some sort of program that plays the movie from windows media player even when it is minimized on my laptop, is this possible ?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How can i display a different window on my tv from my laptop?
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »
    Ain't gonna happen...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:06:48 PM »
    Not going to happen with current hardware using HDMI out of laptop. However; I have seen this done by adding and using a USB Video Adapter on a USB 2.0 port, ( BUT ) the quality of the video to the TV was not perfect and looked more like 360p. However if one had a computer monitor to make this laptop like a desktop and used the USB VGA adapter to type up documents using a desktop type monitor connected to the VGA off this USB VGA adapter, and then used the integrated HDMI for the TV which is teamed internally with the laptop display , then yes it would work and the movie would be crystal clear on the TV and the video quality of the USB VGA adapter would be ok enough to type up a word document etc. 

Basically you would need to convert the laptop to acting like that of a desktop to achieve this from my experience with this  ;)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »
    you can do this by pressing Windows Key+P and selecting "Extend" instead of Duplicate. Then you can move your movie player to the Television screen.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 05:10:50 PM »
    Interesting of that fixes it.

In the past using the Fn key for display to be cloned or dual display not cloned with HDMI, the HDMI was acting teamed with the users display and wasnt able to be dual display extension. Also in windows under display properties with Windows 7 they werent able to make it happen. This was with a Toshiba Satellite. They ended up having to go with this USB VGA adapter to get around this.

Would be cool if BC's Windows Key + P method works for them. Please reply back if that works or not  :)