Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recovery PLEASE HELP!  (Read 3604 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Recovery PLEASE HELP!
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:09:44 AM »
Greetings!

I know this is the windows forum but this is windows on my mac so dont leave this page please. I had windows 7 dual booted on my macbook and i created another partition and threw the partition table off. Now Windows 7 wont boot. Dont care. all i want is the data from that partition. I plugged the drive into my PC and using Active partition recovery i was able to find my stuff but no where is there an option to retrieve it? The partition will not show by just plugging it in on a PC. And i want is a few folders of pictures and documents. Im looking at them in active partition recovery but cant get to them! WHY? any ideas?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Recovery PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:11:46 AM »
Running Windows on a MAC violates both EULA's so i'm afraid in this instance we cannot assist...

Sorry.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »
What EULA? Macs support windows legally. They have software that let you run windows on a mac. its called bootcamp fully legal. So what EULA?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »
They are called Microsoft.

And somehow i knew this would degenerate into legalese...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 12:29:23 PM »
Running Windows on a MAC violates both EULA's so i'm afraid in this instance we cannot assist...

Sorry.

Aren't you thinking of running Mac OSX on a PC (a 'Hackintosh'?) that is definitely against the Apple EULA. AS far as I can see, dual booting Mac OSX and Windows on a Mac, using the Apple supplied Boot Camp violates neither the Microsoft nor Apple EULAs, as far as I can see. I have read that Microsoft put a clause in the Vista EULA stating that installing Vista to an Apple Macintosh computer requires Vista Ultimate Edition or Enterprise, no other editions qualify. I do not know if this is true, and I don't know if it applied to later Windows editions than Vista.

http://gizmodo.com/233231/vista-on-the-mac-only-legal-with-enterprise-or-ultimate-editions

Apple's own notes about Boot Camp and supported Windows editions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 12:32:36 PM »
thats exactly what im confused about. and totally agree. Running mac on windows PC is against the apple uela. it violates it and that copy of OSX. using a virtual machine or dual booting windows on your OSX machine is legal by both apple and microsoft says nothing against it either. THey even have virtual box for MAC! so why im being denied help is beyond me.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
Now that we have established that what you are doing is legal (as long as the Windows install is properly licensed), have you tried the steps mentioned on this page? Among other things, it mentions a program called rEFIt...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17504656

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 11:57:25 AM »
yes i did look at that article. And Hundreds others. After a TON of digging around i found a piece of software that found my windows Partition and copied all the documents over to another hard drive and i had my stuff back. I then reinstalled it. Sorry. Just by the time the first guy gave me an answer that i was doing something illegal which is 100% legal and then arguing i found my solution in the program "active partition recovery". Thanks for your help anyways.