Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: factory reset  (Read 3522 times)

petersago

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    factory reset
    « on: February 18, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
    i have a acer aspire 5920g laptop and i would like to know how i would find out if it has a partition in the hard drive which contains this factory reset as it says in the booklet that came with it. Have tried the alt + f10 and writing comes up but nothing else. If i do what it say it just starts up the same as i have at the moment. has it been wiped of or is it still there and i'm doing something wrong

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: factory reset
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:22:42 PM »
    If windows still boots and functions there may be a acer folder under program files that will have a utility to run this and cause the next boot to use the D: ( system restore partition ) to rebuild C: from. Acer use to have this on their computers, but Acer got bought out and another owner may have changed this.

According to here http://community.acer.com/t5/2012-Archives/how-do-I-access-the-recovery-partition/td-p/8261   you are trying to start it correctly, however if the D: partition is damaged you will need to contact Acer to purchase the recovery media. You may also have to replace the hard drive if its not just corruption, but is damaged physically such as bad sectors.

It sounds like the D: partition is missing the information to carry out the process and so its defaulting back to C: after an error.

petersago

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:02:35 AM »
      thx for your reply and it seems that the partition has been wiped of. Had bad virus on the laptop and took it to some who was expert so to speak. Fixed the laptop but all the E stuff had gone and the bare essentials was all that was left so i guess he had formatted the system and just put vista back on. One question though,  where do i go to get the system back to its former self with all the trimmings that it came with. Purchasing is not a problem but i do not know where to go

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:16:13 AM »
      Get it straight from Acer...
      It'll be way cheaper than buying it outright...and it's tailored to that PC...including all neccessary drivers etc...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

petersago

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 07:27:20 PM »
        been to acer and they nolonger do the disk so i am stuck with a bad os at the moment. My knowledge of where to go nxt is posing a problem as i am not very tech savvy on where i should be looking. been on various sites including ebay but to no avail, any help with this would go a long way. thx

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 07:47:48 PM »
        Not sure which Acer you contacted but those recovery CD's are still available direct from them...
        Otherwise your looking at buying a new Windows OS CD/DVD...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

petersago

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 03:55:58 AM »
          dont think im looking in the wrong place but if you could look it up and come to the same conclusion then im out of luck. Here is what they wanted to know to get the   right factory restore disc :-  LXAQB0X611820104C02500 is the serial number and the comp is an acer aspire 5920g. see what you come up with. Maybe it will tell me if im in the right place. (if you dont mind that is)