Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wifi Connection - MBPS - Lenovo - Broadcom  (Read 5070 times)

Sam64Delp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Wifi Connection - MBPS - Lenovo - Broadcom
    « on: February 21, 2014, 04:39:16 AM »
    I recently purchased a Windows 8 - Lenovo Laptop (It arrived yesterday.). I have been experiencing MBPS drops all day. It goes from 72 MBPS to 5.5 MPS and a few places inbetween.  I have 4 out of 5 bars most of the time. It does drop down to 3 out of 5 sometimes. The MBPS sometimes goes back up, but I have had to restart my computer to fix the problem a few times.

I had a Dell - Windows 7 Laptop and I didn't have this problem before. In my household we have 3 Laptops, the other two connect fine. We have a PS3 and Xbox 360. Both of them aren't having any issues.

I have manually updated Broadcom to try and see if that would help. It didn't seem to do anything.

I have McAfee LiveSafe - Internet Security.

This windows 8 computer is using a Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter.

Router: Motorola Surfboard
    Model: 586121

Wireless Router: NetGear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
    Model: WNDR3400v2

I do not know that much about computers so any help would be appreciated.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]
    « Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:59:13 AM by Sam64Delp »

Sam64Delp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Wifi Connection - MBPS - Lenovo - Broadcom
      « Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:58:13 AM »

I had a Dell - Windows 7 Laptop and I didn't have this problem before. In my household we have 3 Laptops, the other two connect fine. We have a PS3 and Xbox 360. Both of them aren't having any issues.

The Xbox 360 was having some connection issues earlier and so was one of the other laptops.

I would have edited this into the previous post, but I couldn't seem to find a place to do it.

Apparently the Modem I have isn't compatible with Windows 8. Is there anything that I can do?
      « Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 11:46:11 AM by Sam64Delp »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
      In my thinking, a consumer should never have to troubleshoot a new computer.
      Is it true that you began to have issues only after you started to use the new laptop? You could reason that the new computer is the problem. And yes, that indeed does happen.

I strongly commend returning the computer to the store whee your bought it. Maybe they will exchange it for the same model. That could fix the problem.

When a wireless device malfunctions, it can interfered with other devices in the same area. This has been documented elsewhere. The test is to try another device of the same type and model. But with a laptop that means another laptop. The wireless transponder  is not a removable thing.

For other ideas, please do report what you have tried.  :)

Sam64Delp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 06:29:17 PM »
        I am having my Internet Provider come out tomorrow to see if getting a different modem would help the problem because the one I have is not Windows 8/8/1 compatible. Could that not be the problem?

Also, If that doesn't work I will return it and get another laptop to see if that changes anything.

I've tried updating different drivers, using the Google Public DNS, both of which still don't help the problem with the Mbps dropping from 72 to 5.5.

Sam64Delp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 08:35:52 PM »
          I am assuming that the problem is only with my windows 8.1 laptop and not the others because there was a storm earlier and now the other laptops are all fine and this laptop is the only one that is having connection problems and mbps problems.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:49:29 PM »
          I am assuming that the problem is only with my windows 8.1 laptop and not the others because there was a storm earlier and now the other laptops are all fine and this laptop is the only one that is having connection problems and mbps problems.
          Wrong!
          The modem does not have to interact with Windows 8. The modem connects to the router -Right? But the  wireless router does interact with Windows 8. You can do the windows 8 network setup again and see if that helps.

However, I think you have a problem with the wireless module inside the laptop. Sometimes they do come from the factory defective. The fact that the bother machines work good  would suggest this.

Can y0u disable the wireless module in the laptop? Is so, try using any budget  wireless USB adapter. Windows 8 will work fine with most of them. Even the cheap ones can do 54 Mbps. Amazon has some for under $20 that work with any version of Windows. I really think it is the wireless module in the laptop, not the router or modem or windows 8.

Sam64Delp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »
            I would say that you are right about the wireless module, but one of the other laptops in the house has apparently been having the same issues. It's a windows 7 and I had these two computers side by side and when one isn't working the other isn't either, so I don't think it is an issue with the laptops, it might be an issue with the router or modem.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »
            I had these two computers side by side and when one isn't working the other isn't either,
            That is against the rules of common sense. Both computers have wireless transponders and they wail mutually interference with each other. Wireless computers should be kept at least 6 fest (two meters) apart.
            Moreover, if one laptop has a flawed wireless module it can interfere with anything in the house. Like a XBox or PlayStation as will as a PC, laptop or tablet.
            And yes, a defective wireless module can even mess a cell phone, which has different frequencies.
            So I strongly recommend you verify that new PC is normal. Apparently it is not. New computers, or anything electronic, has a known infant mortality issue. Lower QC keeps the cost down and really annoys the consumer. BTW: Even big companies have got into trouble with the FCC for not sticking to the rules for radio emissions of electronic devices,. It happens.

Interference with wireless devices can be a serous issue.
            Look here at a recent problem:
            LA building's lights interfere with cellular network, FCC says

No, I am not saying your mew laptop is stopping cell calls. I sited the above to show that it does happen even when you think would t can not be.

Sam64Delp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 07:13:07 PM »
              http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1120486-windows-8-1-connection-issues.html#post8865785

^-- This had more detail on my issue and more things about it. I am going to end up sending up my laptop back the day after tomorrow to see if that will fix it. I'll come back after I get it back.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              « Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »
              NetGear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
              Did you use the Dual band capability for a better connection speed on your Lenovo laptop?