Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Inspiron 3847  (Read 7469 times)

marystarbright

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    « on: February 23, 2014, 04:06:06 PM »
    My father bought me this computer from dell last weekend. I got it on friday. A friend who knows more about computers then I do. moved my power supply (500W) and my graphics card (Nividia geforce gts 250) from my four year old E-machine to the dell computer. He turned on the computer and the screen went to sleep and would not operate. When he plugged the screen into the built in VGA connection the screen came on and there was a message about the intergrated card being disabled and saying to plug it into the graphics card. We put the power supply and card back into the E-machine and the same thing happened. So I thought it happened cause the card got broken sometime after taking it out of the E-machine. So I went and bought a brand new card (Radeon R7 250 core edition), When we put it in the dell computer once again the monitor went to sleep and would not respond. We put the power supply back into the E-machine and put the card into it hooked up the monitor and the monitor worked. I called Dell Tech Support twice the next day, The second time the Tech ended up hanging up on me. I told them the computer was defective they told me only certain cards are compatible with it. I asked which ones, They ended up eventually telling me Nividia geforce gt 625 and 635 are two that were tested by dell and worked with the computer. Both are OEM and not sold in any computer store near me and going by the specs on them they would not do me any good. I play the sims 3 and need a card that will handle the graphics of the game.

Does anybody know anything about the Dell Inspiron 3847? I am trying to find out what card will work in it that I would be able to go to a computer store and get. ???

Thanks for any info that can be given :)

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dell Inspiron 3847
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »
    The R7 250 should certainly work with your machine.  What make/model is this power supply as there are massive variations between them?  It would also be useful to know the model and/or specs of your old E-machines system.

marystarbright

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 03:48:50 AM »
      Right now I am at my dads. Tomorrow when I go home I will check for the info. I know the name of the Power supply starts with the word Earth and that my E-machines was supposed to have 2.4 for the processor but ended up with 2.7 instead. I guess it was a mistake they made when putting the computer together or when they were packing the computers. I have 4gb of Ram in it. I do not remember what the original power supply was.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:01:19 AM »
      I'd stay far away from any eMachines PSU as they used the cheapest they could find in all their PC's...

This is from personal experience.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

marystarbright

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 04:43:28 AM »
         :) I got it fixed. I found out that Radeon cards and Intel processors sometimes do not like to work with each other. I got a Nividia GeForce gt 640 card and now my Inspiron 3847 works.