Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Onboard sound keeps dying but no problem with USB sound devices  (Read 3408 times)

banjo67xxx

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Onboard sound keeps dying but no problem with USB sound devices
    « on: February 27, 2014, 03:16:42 AM »
    I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T510 type 4384-BR2 and the sound keeps dying within a few minutes a booting. If I boot linux Fedora 18 then once the sound has died, I have not found any way of getting the sound to restart without rebooting.

Strangely, with Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 plus optional Sound patches both from Microsoft updates and Lenovo, the sound dies just the same however I can be repaired by a) Looking at recording devices in one of the control panel menus b) adjusting the volume using the volume icon on the task bar. A quick google search says this problem happening on YouTube clips and was fixed by a flashplayer update, however I get this problem using every application even just using VLC to play an mp3.

A year ago linux suffered an issue with identical symptoms (didn't have Windows installed then), and that appeared to be fixed by replacing the Motherboard under warranty.

Is this a hardware fault, that gets reset by Windows? or is this a software fault? Has anyone seen anything like this before?

BTW linux calls the onboard sound device:

Code: [Select]
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
            Subsystem: Lenovo Device 215e
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 44
            Memory at f2620000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
            Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
            Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
            Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
            Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
            Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link
            Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

If I remember correctly, I think Windows called it a Connexant sound device.

Finally, the same problem arises when using ordinary headphones in the 3.5mm jack, but there is absolutely no problem at all when using Logitech USB headphones, or connecting ordinary headphones via the 3.5mm jack on a USB C-Media audio adaptor.

banjo67xxx

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: Onboard sound keeps dying but no problem with USB sound devices
      « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:09:47 AM »
      As changing the volume under Windows restores the sound for 30 seconds I started to think this might be a software problem, but ....

IBM changed the motherboard today, and the issue is resolved !!!

Can someone suggest why changing the volume would reset a hardware fault with the audio ???