Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: converting any file into pdf  (Read 4780 times)

syndrome

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    converting any file into pdf
    « on: February 14, 2014, 06:09:51 PM »
    What is a good pdf file converter pref free, I am a bit doubtfull at downloading any on offer because of the the risk of downloading stuff I do not want or need. Some of them have opt out causes for the software you don't want but a soon as I say no the download stops.
    A . P. Spelman

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: converting any file into pdf
    « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:36:42 PM »
    I use doPDF7   http://www.dopdf.com/

No problems, free, and works well. * Just not sure if it has any opt out check boxes or not that by default are checked to install everything you dont want + the program you need. So many these days are trying to push McAfee, AVG, or a Yahoo Toolbar to you etc, including Adobe itself which is sad for a company that big to become added to the list of sneaky bundleware installers.

I installed doPDF 7 about a year or two ago on 2 systems and use it quite regularly for saving payment confirmations when paying online bills etc to save money by not wasting ink and paper.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 12:42:16 AM »
    I installed doPDF 7 about a year or two ago on 2 systems and use it quite regularly for saving payment confirmations when paying online bills etc to save money by not wasting ink and paper.

It is part of a standard workstation install where I work (financial branch of a large legal organisation) and I use it every day.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 08:14:35 AM »
    Alternatively, if your need for conversion to PDF is rather limited, a few online conversion services are available.  One I like is http://www.freepdfconvert.com/

syndrome

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
      Am I right assuming that if you convert a jpeg file into a pdf file I can edit it. I am trying to clear some old post cards (funny) from picassa and put them in a slide show using power point in order to save them. The one I trying to manipulate has three elements two sets of text and one photo I wish to break these elements apart and place them where I want on a slide. I am using office 7. I know that picassa has it its own way of doing it, but I need a project to keep me occupied and also re-learn the software, syndrome
      A . P. Spelman

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
      The PDF converters we have been talking about are not editors. For that you would need either Adobe Acrobat or one of the other PDF editors available, and in any case if you wanted to cut elements of a Jpeg image and rearrange them you would be better doing it prior to PDF conversion, using an image editor such as Picasa or Microsoft Paint which is installed with Windows.

syndrome

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 01:56:11 PM »
        Thank you salmon trout, all the time I have had paint I did not know you could do that with it. You have tought me something new and I am very greatful.

syndrome
        A . P. Spelman

tkrnstr

Starter

• Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »
        What is a good pdf file converter pref free, I am a bit doubtfull at downloading any on offer because of the the risk of downloading stuff I do not want or need. Some of them have opt out causes for the software you don't want but a soon as I say no the download stops.

I've had good experience with PrimoPDF.  Bullzip PDF printer is another good one but there are installers out there that will bundle adware with it.

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 11:58:46 PM »
        Okay Ashismily31, I've read a number of your posts, and you seem to have no clue as to how to stay on topic, let alone sound intelligible.
        Evil is an exact science.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 12:37:24 AM »
        Okay Ashismily31, I've read a number of your posts, and you seem to have no clue as to how to stay on topic, let alone sound intelligible.

His posts are the typical 'word soup' used by spammers.

strollin

Adviser
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 06:49:06 AM »
        ... I am using office 7. I know that picassa has it its own way of doing it, but I need a project to keep me occupied and also re-learn the software, syndrome
        Do you actually mean you are using MS Office 2007?  I'm not aware of any product called office 7.

If you are using Word in Office 2007 then it has the ability to save documents as a PDF.  You could create your document, assembling the pictures and text arranged how you like, then save it as a PDF.  If you also save the document as a Word DOC file then you would be able to open it later, edit it, then save as a PDF.