Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot boot into Win7 installer  (Read 3144 times)

letthisnightexplode

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Cannot boot into Win7 installer
    « on: March 11, 2014, 02:31:42 AM »
    I'm trying to do a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit but i can't get the installer to load.
    I have access to a Xubuntu install and a OS X install.
    The original hard drive Windows 7 was installed on stopped working completely. So, I've bought a brand new one.
    I followed the steps I did the first time I installed Windows 7 - converting the iso to and img with OS X's hdiutil and the dd command to burn it to a USB.
    This time I would just get a "please insert proper boot media" error.
    I went to my Xubuntu computer (it's used like a chromebook - i'm not a big linux guy) and tried WinUSB.
    These USB keys lead to a screen that had a flashing underscore a few spaces from the top of the screen.
    It dawned on me that the first thing I did when I installed windows the first time was update the bios. So I tried flashing a few different BIOS versions, but none of them made a difference>
    I really need help - I can't think of anything else to try
    Thank you very much!
    TL;DR
    Cannot boot into Win7 installer. OS X made USB keys show "insert proper boot media" - Ubuntu made keys show "flashing underscore" - Tried 3 different BIOS versions. Win7 -has- worked here before...
    *Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1155
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650
    Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3
    Corsair 750W*

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Cannot boot into Win7 installer
    « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:06:24 PM »
    I'd borrow a friends Windows 7 OEM disc to install from if available and use your key with it. Sounds like the image went bad through a conversion process. My Windows 7 3 license family package came with 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 OEM discs, and you will want the 32 or 64 bit to match the version you will be running.