Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LA uses computers to keep traffric lights in synmc.  (Read 4370 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
LA uses computers to keep traffric lights in synmc.
« on: April 08, 2014, 01:01:15 PM »
This was first published last year. It has taken up to now  to see how dumb it was. Just because computers were used does not make it good.
LOS ANGELES — To combat its infamous traffic, Los Angeles has built subways and light rail lines. It has widened highways and added car pool, toll and bus-only lanes. But the roads have remained stubbornly clogged, creating a drag on commerce and the quality of life that has persisted here for generations.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/us/to-fight-gridlock-los-angeles-synchronizes-every-red-light.html

This is the sort of thing some Computer Analysts think is a great idea. The is the first time such a massive traffic sync has been used in a large area.
It is a bad idea.

November 4, 2013
... Then they tried something really ambitious.

In April of this year, Los Angeles became the first major city in the world to synchronize all of its 4,500 traffic lights. This effort to reduce congestion, pollution, and wasted time took 30 years and cost $400 million. Transportation experts estimate that implementing this new system across the country could reduce traffic congestion by up to 10 percent and air pollution up to 20 percent. It would also theoretically reduce accidents at intersections, the amount of money spent at the pump, average drive times, and, of course, drivers’ frustration levels.
http://blog.esurance.com/do-synchronized-traffic-lights-really-solve-congestion-woes/#.U0RF3KIWHFw

Some thought this was a great idea when it stared last year. When will they admit they were wrong? Will the have a press conference?
What do you think?

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: LA uses computers to keep traffric lights in synmc.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 01:39:01 PM »
Out in my area New Hampshire out by Dartmouth College, they have remote overrides for the lights now with cameras at intersections, so that if a sports event lets out etc, they can remotely control the lights to ease the traffic congestion.

I kind of miss the prior setup they had though because there are 2 lanes that turn left onto a highway on ramp that forces people to single file too soon, and people do not want to let others in etc, and the prior setup they had you knew the pattern of the lights from driving it daily and so when the light for the oncoming traffic gets its yellow, you have 3 seconds of red for them and then your left turning lane goes green.

So sort of like how drag racers watch the tree to know when the light is coming to hit it, you could time 3 seconds and nail the gas peddle sometimes 1 second before the light goes green for you and have the lead onto the ramp without getting jumbled up in the mix of people fighting for asphalt and no one wanting to let you in if you are the first at the light with another vehicle to the side of you which is also going to fight for the asphalt.

Some people would say, dont be aggressive and let someone else have the lead, but this is like a stampede when the light turns green, and if you are not going with the flow you are a problem to the flow and can get trampled/have an accident by being an obstacle instead of part of the flow.  ::)

If anyone beats me to the lead I let them go ahead, but have my nose of the car close to their tail so that someone else overly aggressive behind me doesn't try to pass me with no asphalt to allow 2 cars side by side.

With the new lights that can be remote controlled the switching doesn't follow a known pattern and so you cant have the advantage of hitting the gas hard 1 second before it turns green, and then the delay time of everyone else who is waiting for green to let you have the lead.

I am guessing that these are also computer run so that the patterns can be preprogrammed differently ahead of time as well as allowing the police to be reactive with an manual override if needed etc.

For the most part its a good system such as if someone breaks down or has an accident its caught on camera etc and they can react faster. And without knowing the green is coming I am not caught on camera leaving my red 1 second before it turns green for others...LOL  ;D