Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: start up sequence errors missing shortcuts/files  (Read 2371 times)

papamerv

start up sequence errors missing shortcuts/files
« on: October 26, 2005, 05:15:11 AM »
I'm running xp pro.  I need help.  Two days ago when I started up the computer, the desktop icons didn't load up. I rebooted and after 5 or 6 tries they appeared but didn't work.  I went to system restore and that didn't activate either.  All my documents and pictures appear to be gone.  

I was able to get back on line and get my email (yahoo) but virtually all the programs do not function including most of the xp pro installed help stuff.

I noticed that other programs that were supposed to activate on start up (internet call director) didn't come up and was actually erased.  

Is this simple or am I just simply defeated???

I am afraid to turn this thing off now as I might not even be able to get back running again online. Arrggghh!

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

Re: start up sequence errors missing shortcuts/fil
    « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 06:06:12 AM »
    Do you have an updated Antivirus.

Looks like a virus problem.
    Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

papamerv

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 06:36:20 AM »
    I've been running Trend micro and its been in a holding pattern for 30 minutes at 99 percent finished scanning for spyware and waiting to start the virus scan.  

It got up to 99 percent in about 7 minutes, and sits at 99 percent finished.

I reloaded ms anti spyware and it found lots and now that seems handled.

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 07:00:28 AM »
      So is everything fine now.   :D
      Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

papamerv

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 07:10:28 AM »
      Heck no, it seems to be getting worse.

I finally cancelled Trend Micros scan as it just sat there at 99 percent.  I tried to go back and just scan for viruses and not for spyware and then Explorer just froze up and then shut down completely.  I got back up and went back to Trend Micro and Now it wont even start the scan process, it just sits idle after I click on "start scan".

I feel very fortunate that I can still get here.

papamerv

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 07:40:17 AM »
      And something else new, the links posted here to get to other sites now don't work.  I have to type in the address and go there that way.

Explorer is shutting down more frequently too.

reaching some critical mass I think

trying to get to AVG free right now, wish me luck

Thanks for your thoughts