Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with laptop computer's internal speakers  (Read 3163 times)

haus_kat

problem with laptop computer's internal speakers
« on: March 29, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »
I have a Dell Inspiron N4110 to which I have plugged Logitech external speakers. However the Logitech speakers have a short cord with them and a family member is always tripping over the cord. This evening, when they tripped over the cord, the computer fell over off of a short stand where it sits and landed on the floor (a height of about two feet from the floor so not a major tumble). This caused the jack from the external speakers to become unplugged from the computer and when I went to plug it back into the computer (after righting it back to its stand) I saw the metal part of the jack that goes into the computer was bent and looked ready to break off. Since there is no way to replace the cord to the speakers I had to just order another set of speakers from Amazon.

My main problem now is that I discovered that for some reason the computer's internal speakers now do not work at all. I don't understand why. There was no problem with them whatsoever before this. I got a flashlight and checked inside the hole (headphones) where the speaker's jack plug into and there is nothing stuck in there but it does look sightly crooked now. The speakers will work if they are plugged in (despite the damaged plug/jack) but the computer' internal speakers now will play no sound whatsoever when unplugging the speakers from the headphones jack. I'm not sure why??

The computer has fallen down in the past and never had any issue before. There are no other issues with it whatsoever except now the speakers will not work after this latest tumble. I re-booted the computer in case it was some software glitch that happened after the computer fell but the issue remains.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: problem with laptop computer's internal speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 07:04:12 PM »
Hi  :)

The problem is that the socket on the laptop is damaged and will need to be replaced.
The plug on the original speakers could have been replaced as well saving replacing the speakers.
Have you considered getting some Bluetooth speakers no cables .
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

haus_kat

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 07:33:39 PM »
the plug is permanently attached to the speakers so I was forced to place them. Paying for repair would cost more than the speakers anyway.

Bluetooth speakers cost more than I can afford and run on battery. I prefer something that runs on AC power. Replacing batteries would be too costly in the long run. I use my computer all day every day.

I was hoping it was some software glitch or something :( I'm very wary about repair shops and the only one I know in my area is that Best Buy Geek Squad :(

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:32:17 AM »
Bluetooth speakers cost more than I can afford and run on battery. I prefer something that runs on AC power. Replacing batteries would be too costly in the long run. I use my computer all day every day.
If you think batteries would be too costly, then what do you think about having to replace your computer?  You'd better think about that because that's where you're headed based on your track record with handling of the computer.  It has already fallen off the stand multiple times.  And, now you have a damaged headphones connector and possibly more extensive damage as indicated by internal speakers now failing to work.  Why in the world to you persist in this notion that you must have external speakers?