Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows FREE ... for 9" or smaller display portable devices  (Read 3647 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows FREE ... for 9" or smaller display portable devices
« on: April 02, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
When i first saw this I was like it must be dated April 1, 2014 and a April Fools Day gag, but it appears to be real and dated April 2, 2014.

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/free-windows/?mbid=social_fb

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Windows FREE ... for 9" or smaller display portable devices
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:16:42 AM »
I see that  story has been picked up by many others.
Nice joke.
Well, windows on a phone was always a joke.  ;D
Financial  Times:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7eda77e4-ba7d-11e3-a905-00144feabdc0.html
Michael Silver, an analyst at tech research firm Gartner, said the announcements on Wednesday were “definitely steps in the right direction” He added, however: “Developers are still looking at why they should write for Microsoft versus everywhere else. They [Microsoft] certainly have their work cut out for them.”
The announcement that Windows would be free for devices with screen sizes measuring less than 9 inches across was an admission that Microsoft has lost the smartphone battle to Google’s Android, which is free, and Apple’s iOS, which is included on the iPhone.
Do I have t o believe before I can see it  ???

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 03:45:52 AM »
I can see where they are coming from in this.  By providing the OS free of charge, they will encourage hardware vendors to release more devices based around Windows phone which will in turn increase the popularity of the whole Windows phone platform.  Microsoft will then use the Windows Store on the phone as their main revenue source.  This is very much what Google has done with Android since the beginning.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:45:51 AM »
When i first saw this I was like it must be dated April 1, 2014 and a April Fools Day gag, but it appears to be real and dated April 2, 2014.

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/free-windows/?mbid=social_fb

Of course it's dated April 2nd- it was announced at Build during Satya Nadella's keynote. As was a Windows 8.1 update now available on MSDN and the future re-introduction of an old-style start menu to appease the ignorant.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.