Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB 3.0 won't work unless rebooted  (Read 11344 times)

Tej

USB 3.0 won't work unless rebooted
« on: April 04, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
Hi, I have 2 USB 3.0 ports on my laptop (specs below). When I start the computer after a hybrid shutdown and connect my Seagate Expansion portable hard drive,  I get a message in PC settings which says "Device can perform faster when connected to USB 3.0 port" However if I restart my computer and reconnect it, it says "Connected to USB 3.0" I checked this a lot of times and the same thing happens every time, which leads me to wonder if some driver doesn't load during normal boot but loads during restart. I re-installed chipset software and everything under USB controllers in device manager (Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller etc.) but it doesn't work. Could anyone help me in solving this issue so that I needn't restart every time? Many thanks  :)

Specs:
Lenovo Z580 laptop
CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz
RAM: Transcend 8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
Chipset: Mobile Intel HM76 Express Chipset (2xUSB 2.0, 2xUSB 3.0)
Seagate hard drive (1 TB) supports USB 3.0 and came with a USB 3.0 cable

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: USB 3.0 won't work unless rebooted
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
First of all., this is the best place for help. That is the good news.
Now the bad news. It has been documented that USB3..0 has some bad problems which may never be fully resolved.
In you r case it does work, jut not all the time.
Which is better than hardly ever work.
USB 3.0 pushes the envelope way bey hound what Engineers thought could be done. The central issue is about how much data can you shove down a short wire. The solution is to use  only the very best cable that is for USB 3.0 application.

On course, yu need to tell the maker of your machine about this. Likely they already know and may have a work around already.
Dell:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19353745.aspx
HP:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/Handling-Problems-With-USB-3-0/td-p/2001211
Lenovo:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/USB-3-0-not-working-on-T530-WINDOWS-8/td-p/1143943

Sorry, I do not know if these links can help you. This is the best I can do.
Maybe somebody else can.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »
What happens if you plug the drive in before you power up ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Tej

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:06:09 PM »
It still shows the "Device can perform faster" message if I connect before start-up. On the other hand, Intel on their support site mentioned that they won't make USB 3.0 drivers for Windows 8, and that it was being handled by Microsoft. The Intel USB 3.0 driver for Win 7 works flawlessly, but it can't be installed on Win 8 (gives an incompatible OS error). So the problem is with Win 8, right?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 10:34:46 PM »
Did you try removing the previously installed USB device then letting it reinstall the generic drivers when next connected? You can use USBDeview http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html then just right-click the Seagate product software then select uninstall.

Tej

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 01:00:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I tried uninstalling it, but it still shows the same message.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 11:00:21 PM »
Can you check for any available BIOS updates at Lenovo support site?