Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Startup sequence error, help please  (Read 2791 times)

papamerv

Startup sequence error, help please
« on: October 26, 2005, 01:47:41 PM »
Continuing from earlier post. . .

When I boot up and get the desk top icons on screen and attempt to access anything, Windows keeps popping up the windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down.

I havent at this stage even accessed explorer.  When I click on the box to cancel it keeps popping back up and then goes in a loop.  I have to manually shut down and try again.

Is there some way to access the startup string before the system boots up??   Is this information providing another clue as to what is going on here? oh, and I couldn't get AVG free before everything crashed again.

papamerv

Re: Startup sequence error, help please
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 01:52:14 PM »
This is what I originally posted, about a page back.

I'm running xp pro.  I need help.  Two days ago when I started up the computer, the desktop icons didn't load up. I rebooted and after 5 or 6 tries they appeared but didn't work.  I went to system restore and that didn't activate either.  All my documents and pictures appear to be gone.  

I was able to get back on line and get my email (yahoo) but virtually all the programs do not function including most of the xp pro installed help stuff.

I noticed that other programs that were supposed to activate on start up (internet call director) didn't come up and was actually erased.  

Is this simple or am I just simply defeated???

I am afraid to turn this thing off now as I might not even be able to get back running again online. Arrggghh!

merlin_2

Re: Startup sequence error, help please
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 02:58:56 PM »
chose last good config from the onscreen list........hold down the f8 key on boot............sound like winsock/or ie is damaged.....guess work to to lack of info ???