Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer upgrade.  (Read 2371 times)

walter

computer upgrade.
« on: October 23, 2005, 08:28:38 AM »
Re my previous message about upgrading my computer. thx everyone for the replies.  i don't have the motherboard manual and i don't know its model number.
really its is quite adequate for my needs except that since i installed norton a.v. 2005, startup has slowed down considerably and i thought a better processor would improve matters. i have 2 hard drives, one 40 gig with xp pro on it and one 20 gig with 98 on it. i have 256 mb of memory which seem to fit the requirements of xp. i am an old guy (81) and the only game i play on the machine is either bridge or solitaire etc, other than that it is only used for word processing or email or the net. the only other reason for upgrading is to keep my brain activated. the machine was originally built by a friend and he can't remember the motherboard model.walt.

GX1_Man

Re: computer upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 01:12:21 PM »
At the very least I would uninstall the Norton and never look back. There are equally good solutions that are free and do not hog your system resources. Win98 in particular has several issues with Norton 2005, and with limited RAM in XP....

AVG Free edition would be the way to go.
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
(link is at the bottom of page)

No need to upgrade anything with that machine, except XP would go a little smoother with more RAM.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 01:20:49 PM »
Norton is the culprit, get rid of it.

walter

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 03:23:02 AM »
re norton av. thx everyone for your replies.walt.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 07:17:43 PM »
waiting........ ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Mac

Computer upgrade.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 02:01:35 AM »
No problem, but 512 MB of RAM is better for XP.

If you click on the link below and install Everest, you'll find the details on your mainboard and RAM, etc.

Also look for AVG anti-virus in the freeware list.