Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS Update  (Read 3038 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

BIOS Update
    « on: April 17, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »
    Been doing a little research getting ready to install a new video card in my HP Pavillon a1600n dinosaur, oops I mean desktop. Someone installed a video card similar to mine GT 620 (mine is GT 610) and his HP desktop with Win 7 would not boot. Someone suggested going to the HP support website and use the BIOS updater to make sure he had the latest BIOS software. I had no idea you could or should update the BIOS. Should I update my BIOS before installing the video card? Thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: BIOS Update
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »
    No.

Don't overthink things...
    Don't apply an isolated incident to your situation...

Install the new vid card...install the drivers and we'll go from there.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »
    Rule of thumb regarding BIOS updates is to only update the BIOS to fix a problem you are having that is specifically addressed by the update.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Updating the BIOS is risky, if something goes wrong during the update you could brick your machine with no way to recover.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »
    Most non-boot systems after a video card upgrade are the result of trying to run a video card on the original 250 watt power supply that the computer came with which cant handle the power demands.

I agree to install the card first and see if it works, and if it doesnt we will go from there.

But also if you have the original power supply in this computer, you may need to install heavier power supply. This video card requires a minimum of a 300watt power supply according to specs at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CMXX4ZG16L0CFQ2hOgoda2oAJw&Item=N82E16814130815&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814130815&ef_id=U1BA5QAAAHLznBJ8:20140417210021:s

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 04:46:24 PM »
      Thanks for the feedback. Should be good re power supply. I removed the case cover today to look at the PS nameplate. Have 300w total with 29w on the 12v bus. Should be a simple plug and play. Can't wait to see how much better my monitor will look and work.