Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 USB Ports need connecting  (Read 4278 times)

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    2 USB Ports need connecting
    « on: April 20, 2014, 06:32:06 AM »

I did my first build and all is well despite various snags along the way. There is one final snag. I called ASUS, but its liking playing Russian roulette getting one of them with some knowledge. My build was done in my old case. I was able to use one connector for 2 rear usb ports. In the front there are 2 more usb ports...In my haste at the time i had to snip 2 thin wires belonging to the front fan just below where the usb's ports are and just above that is the Power button. Once i reconnected those 2 wires to the power socket, the fan worked and so did the Power, but unbeknownst to me, not those 2 front usb ports. There is a cable coming from that same area, I suspect, has to do with it. The problem is the loose connectors are not like the one 9 pin usb connector that i connected to the rear usb's ports. I see print on each one of them and wrote them down. One had a single RED wire and one 'hole' and says ' +5v. The second one had 2 holes and on it says "+5v. -5v. the remaining two are 3 holes each and respectfully say for each one, + D Gnd, -D Gnd. I don't want to risk just inserting them into the motherboard and risk a short or whatever. Does anyone know if those wires are for those 2 front usb ports, and how or where to connect them? Being that there is a total of 9 holes..like that other one, though they are separate.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 2 USB Ports need connecting
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »
    Yes those labels are consistent with USB header pin outs.

If you have the manual for your motherboard it will have the diagram of the USB header and what pin is what.

99.99% of USB headers I have seen are all the same layout and are as such:

Can you take a picture of the connectors for me and upload it to a website like Imgur.com or similar and I will make a diagram for you.