Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Remote network connection to Vista notebook  (Read 3337 times)

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

Remote network connection to Vista notebook
    « on: April 24, 2014, 02:36:12 PM »
    Hi,
    I can neither access shared folders nor log in to remote network connection of a Vista notebook. What's the reason? In both cases log in window pops up, but  after I type in correct login and pass, it complains over >incorrect login or pass...<.
    Steps take are:
    Both computers have password enabled accounts set up.
    System Properties/Remote/Remote Desktop/Allow connection from... is enabled.
    In user name box, besides using the admin account name, I also tried comp name\user name pattern.
    Nothing else comes to my head now.
    Please help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Remote network connection to Vista notebook
    « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »
    Are both computers Vista or is one a different OS such as 7? 

I have had issues before with RDP between different OS's and had to update RDP. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 03:39:18 PM »
      Thanks DaveLembke,
      However it looks like this is not the case. I'm trying to connect to Vista from 7 and the article says "However, the new features that are mentioned in this article are available only when the client connects to a remote computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.".

Regards

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 06:51:01 PM »
      Are these systems far appart or in same building etc?

If its local LAN, I'd try disabling the firewall of the system that is resisting the remote connection to see if that works. If that works then you know you are dealing with having to add an firewall exception. If it doesnt work then its something else.

If its a site to site RDP connection, if these sites are within driving distance, bring these 2 systems together on a local LAN and see if you can connect to each one via RDP. If you can then you can move forward with checking router port forwarding configurations etc, if it doesnt solve the problem, try shutting off firewall and seeing if that resolves issue. If it does resolve issue then you need a firewall exception, otherwise if it doesnt its something different.

I assume that both are on the same workgroup or joined to same domain, and the RDP has been properly configured on each system that is accepting RDP requests?

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »
        It's local LAN. The one with 7 is cable connection, the one with Vista (a laptop) is wireless, but still within the same network. Vista can RD connect to 7, 7 can't to Vista. Checked firewall, useless. I'm actually running Kaspersky there (which has it's firewall too), and I turned it off too. I knew it's not going to help, just wanted to do what you say. Usually when it's firewall affected you don't get to the login/pass authorization stage.
        Thanks

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 09:03:27 PM »
        When you say the logon box appears, is the actual RDP session window appearing and you see the logon screen from the Vista machine, or is it before the session is completely opened?

If it is the second one, try unticking the "Allow me to save credentials" box which should bring you to the logon screen of the computer itself and takes away the guess work of the username you need to use.

Personally I prefer using Teamviewer which is free for personal use, and in the options untick ignore local connections and it will use the local network instead of the Internet to give you a decent experience. If set up correctly it will also allow you to access the machines easily from anywhere in the world with an internet connection.