Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Would a sound card ensure more compatibility with video games?  (Read 2812 times)

Tyrone1996

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    May sound an odd question, but a recent problem I've been having with a game sparked a question. The problem I have with the game seems to be audio related; I notice that at the back of the case it mentions "not supported by all integrated sound/graphics solutions". And also sometimes you find games that say they don't work at all with integrated GPU's, they need a video card, so, could the same be said for sound cards? Would it be better to have one to ensure compatibility with most games you come across, new or old?

I'm just thinking perhaps developers program audio to be done in a PCI-E slot, rather than on a random area on a motherboard or some other chip like a video card and could cause problems within the game or software itself.
    "Art is the only way to run away without leaving home."

-Twyla Tharp

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Would a sound card ensure more compatibility with video games?
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:09:03 AM »
    May sound an odd question, but a recent problem I've been having with a game sparked a question. The problem I have with the game seems to be audio related; I notice that at the back of the case it mentions "not supported by all integrated sound/graphics solutions". And also sometimes you find games that say they don't work at all with integrated GPU's, they need a video card, so, could the same be said for sound cards? Would it be better to have one to ensure compatibility with most games you come across, new or old?

I'm just thinking perhaps developers program audio to be done in a PCI-E slot, rather than on a random area on a motherboard or some other chip like a video card and could cause problems within the game or software itself.

Games that don't work with integrated Graphics are that way because Integrated Graphics are not powerful enough.

Sound cards are not any more powerful than integrated Motherboard sound- nor do Sound cards provide much more in terms of feature set than an Integrated Sound card.

Audio is programmed against the driver. Games/Applications do not directly access the hardware and only access it through drivers, usually through DirectX or the SDL libraries.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Tyrone1996

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 02:12:42 AM »
      Ahh thank you very much for the reply, I guess I may not need to get myself a sound card then. But then what possible reason would a game or application not be compatible with an integrated sound card?
      "Art is the only way to run away without leaving home."

-Twyla Tharp

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:24:58 AM »
      But then what possible reason would a game or application not be compatible with an integrated sound card?

Lazy developers...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "