Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 32-bit LTS - Show Mounts & Pass/Fail messages etc at boot  (Read 6750 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
One of my friends took a giant leap forwards from RedHat 9 to Linux Mint 17 32-bit cinnamon. While he likes the new Linux Mint that I suggested to him, he asked if there was a way to show the boot process that shows CPU info, Memory info, what drivers are being used for components and pass/fail for other features.

The only disto that I believe still shows this info is Knoppix whereas many others have adapted a silent mode that simply just shows a logo or progress bar etc or black screen and then logon prompt appears etc.

I told him that I wasnt sure if there was a setting that could be set to display the boot time info like he use to have with Redhat 9

I was going to suggest Fedora for him since its more along the lines of RedHat, but he saw my laptop running Mint and liked its user interface and layout etc.

He is running this on an older computer a Pentium D 2.8Ghz 2MB L2 Cache with 1GB RAM and 120GB IDE HDD and AGP 8x GeForce 4 MX 440 128MB Video Card, which is fine for most modern distros, however I told him that he might want to get another 2 sticks of 512MB to populate in the other 2 of 4 memory slots and max out the RAM at 2GB for best performance with this system. His application is mainly web surfing and writing ( typing stories etc ). So this system is plenty of processing power for him, however I warned him about using RedHat 9 on the web since its so out of date. I think the only reason why he hasnt gotten infected with anything with such an out of date distro is because few target Linux distros with exploits etc.

Where this boot time display info is not a deal breaker with keeping Mint on his system since he likes it a lot otherwise. He simply asked if he could have this feature back and not knowing how to get it back I figured I'd post it here to see if anyone knows how to get it back whether enabling or disabling an advanced feature or installing a boot time display program as an addon.

Also not knowing the proper terminology as to what this boot display is exactly called, google has been a miss for info on this.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
you need to edit the /etc/defaults/grub file. change the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" line to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

The only disto that I believe still shows this info is Knoppix whereas many others have adapted a silent mode that simply just shows a logo or progress bar etc or black screen and then logon prompt appears etc.

It hasn't gone away, it's just that so many distros set graphical boot by default these days at install time. I am like your friend. I like to see all the boot text, and then get a text login, and if I want X I can type 'startx'. Googling for "linux text boot" with the name of the distro gets quite a lot of results.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
Thanks guys and also for stating that its "Linux Text Boot" for search terms. I am going to edit grub on my system too to show the info  ;D