Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux distros freezing randomly  (Read 25166 times)

trevorpe

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Linux distros freezing randomly
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »
I have not tried Knoppix, just Puppy Linux. It has never frozen on me (yet). But Kubuntu freezes after a bit, whether from an installation or even from the live installation DVD.

I forgot to mention that I have a buddy with some parts coming over tomorrow, so I will also be able to swap out hardware to try and narrow the problem that way, but I figured I could also try posting here to see if there are any other ideas.
Trevor P.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »
Best of luck.

At this point I would use a spare good computer that is compatible with the majority of the parts and install parts over from the one computer to the other and try to determine what part destabilizes the system running Linux OS.

However adding good spare parts in place of your own may also find the cause, however if its related to the motherboard without a spare motherboard it cant be ruled out as a cause for the problem.

trevorpe

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »
I could certainly use luck right now! Thanks for the input; anything helps!

I think all of the hardware in my buddy's desktop should be compatible (enough) to swap, so hopefully something helps. I really hope it's not the motherboard. It'll be like building the whole machine again if I have to swap out the motherboard...
Trevor P.

trevorpe

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 07:39:48 PM »
Thought I'd post my results here in case it could help somebody down the road, though freezing can be pretty broad.

Turns out it was my wireless card. Was the last thing I thought of! Took out the wireless card and it ran fine, so I just went out and bought a new wireless card and Xubuntu has been running smoothly for several days now without any signs of wanting to freeze.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Trevor P.