Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: brother inlaw where i live rules computers in house mine only one slowest in hou  (Read 3783 times)

Lindaz

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    hope to make is short if I can here goes. I live with my sister & her husband their house because I have MS and can not live alone. He thinks he rules all computers in house as he is an IT guy.  My problem is he used to shut me down at midnight every night till we found out it was him yelled alot he thought it was funny. Problem now is there are 4 other computers in the house they all get great bandwidth speed can watch movies u tube ect no problem.  Me I cant even watch a 10 second commercial on u tube before it buffers.  Its seconds to do things at other houses, so its not my computer at other wi fi spots houses NO problem at all .I know he is doing something.  When you visit our house you have to give him your computer in order to signhe takes it goes into his room comes back and you can sign in then. Why cant you just put a password like at other houses and your on!!  Is he able to look at everything I am doing on my computer from the other ones he has in hiss"officE"  HELP THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING AND NOT GOOD FOR MY HEALTH. SISTERS COMPUTER FINE NEPHEW FINE.  ONLY MINE.  HELPPPPPP PLEASEEEEE

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Really? This is what you want as your first post here?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    My suggestion is to get your own ISP connection to say the room that is yours and you will have your own modem, router, and isolation from his games as long as he doesnt mess with your stuff.

Other option is to tether a computer to a modern cell phone to use the 3G or 4G connection as a direct link to the internet.

Other option is to buy a cellular modem that plugs into your computer that is through a cell provider and have your own internet that way as well.

You need isolation from the idiot. And only way to get the isolation is to spend money to have your own ISP connection.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    The forum does not offer family consulting. Apparently this is an exception for technical reasons.

Now my turn. I live on Social Security and I have a nephew that can not hold a j ob and he lives in his trailer in the backyard. He gets free internet from my Wi-Fi.
    Instead of looking for work, he stays around and witches movies for lours at a time.

Recently my ISP started changing me $10 a month extra because of more bandwidth being used. So, do you want to guess what I did? Hint: The router is inside the house.

fatfingers25

Rookie
    • Teamwork is better than Solo!
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    hi and good day, my advice, get a job, till you can afford your own connection, if you can, live separately from them. you can't do much if they're paying the bills and you are just sitting there and not contributing. i'm just saying man, no offense intended. :) i think he's using bandwidth control from his router.
    Forgive and Forget!

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    Sorry to hear the situation is so bad for you! This is a classic example of an IT cowboy...

Unfortunately as the others have stated there isn't a lot we can do for you.
    My personal opinion for you is to have a serious talk with him about it...

The only other pieces of advice I can give you is if your computer is a Desktop PC and you are using wireless check your wireless signal isn't weak. This can cause the issues that you are experiencing as well as pages not loading or connections dropping.

Check to see if your computer is set with a static IP address, details on how to do this are found easily on Google. If the address is static, try changing the last number of your IP address to somewhere in the 180-240 range and try browsing the net then.

If this does not work....

I am guessing by the fact that he takes the computer away before you can sign on is because he has some kind of MAC filtering implemented the network too, so spoofing your MAC address will likely not allow you to access the network at all. If you want to try this, Google is your friend. The reason he takes the machine away could also be that he has disabled the SSID from being broadcast and has to enter this information manually.

As others have suggested getting your own 3G or 4G connection may be your only option, but this is expensive.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    If you have an android not sure about Iphone, but if you get great cell service you can always root your android phone and set it up as a hotspot for free, without paying a dime. I used to have to use my cell has a hotspot(router) to get internet where i was staying at. Just an option.
    Not pay a dime? Where do you live? My carrier monitors my data use on the cell network and adds it to my bill if I go over  10 GB. So I don't use the cell for internet.while at home.