Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I Need SP3 (tryint to migrate to Win7)  (Read 3904 times)

sblev

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I Need SP3 (tryint to migrate to Win7)
    « on: May 12, 2014, 08:33:33 AM »
    I'm having an immense amount of difficulty moving from WinXP to Win7.  I keep hitting roadblocks.  Right now I can't get the Service Pack 3 self-extracting update to finish installing.  I think the file is corrupt.  Can someone point me to a source for a self-installing Service Pack 3, other than www.microsoft.com (which always causes problems when i try to download anything from them)?

Thank you

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: I Need SP3 (tryint to migrate to Win7)
    « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:46:14 AM »
    There is no SP3 for Win7.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I Need SP3 (tryint to migrate to Win7)
    « Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:50:54 PM »
    To migrate to Windows 7, you should be able to insert the Windows 7 disc. Boot the system off of that disc and it will give an option for a upgrade install to keep all your data or perform a new clean installation which formats the hard drive and installs Windows 7 clean.

Prior to doing this I would run the Windows 7 compatibility utility to make sure the system meets the requirements etc.

What are the system specs of the system you are upgrading to Windows 7?

If its Windows 7 32-bit I suggest a minimum of 2GB RAM, and if its Windows 7 64-bit I suggest 4GB for best performance.

Windows 7 32-bit can run on 1GB of RAM, but it would be laggy with all the paging to operate with the HDD. Windows 7 64-bit on 2GB of RAM has been laggy.