Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Security apps for windows 7, Need Suggestions.  (Read 3809 times)

fatfingers25

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Teamwork is better than Solo!
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Security apps for windows 7, Need Suggestions.
« on: May 10, 2014, 06:59:33 AM »
Hi and good day to everyone, i was curious about zone alarm, are there any other free softwares that offers the same features of zone alarm? if it's not a hassle to your parts, some suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.
Forgive and Forget!

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Security apps for windows 7, Need Suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:43:31 PM »
Is there a reason why you dont want to use zone alarm or are you just curious as to all the options out there?

In the past I have used Zone Alarm, however these days my software firewall is just the built in Windows Firewall.

I installed AVG to my one system the one day and it gave me a trial of the firewall that AVG has, but I had to disable the AVG firewall because it was never intended for exceptions to be added.

The problem I had with AVG Firewall is that I have a cross over cable between 2 systems ( Gaming System and a Regular Workstation ) to transfer large video files created with Fraps on the one gaming system to the other workstation system that processes these large 20+ GB files and turns them into small like 700MB AVI files to post on Youtube for our guild events. This way the workstation can crunch out the large files while the gaming sytems CPU is free to continue gaming etc without the CPU trying to game and process video files at the same time into AVI's. AVG Firewall had no options at all to add an exception to allow these 2 systems to communicate through this trusted cross over cable. So I had to disable AVG Firewall.

Zone Alarm I used mainly years ago with my Windows 2000 Pro Pentium 166Mhz workstation so that I could somewhat safely use it online. Windows XP was the first OS to come with built in firewall and prior to that you had to install Norton Security, Zone Alarm, or some other firewall to protect a system from port probes etc such as back in the days of dial-up when without a firewall people could find your system if it had a vulnerability and mess with it.

I stopped using Zone Alarm when they came out with a newer version and dropped support for Windows 2000. I then moved on to XP with its built in firewall, and then 7 with its built in firewall.

These days though of broadband internet if you have a router between your modem and your computer your pretty well protected through the hardware firewall as long as the default password was changed on the router so that someone cant get into it and make it wide open.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:30:34 PM »
Hi and good day to everyone, i was curious about zone alarm, are there any other free softwares that offers the same features of zone alarm? if it's not a hassle to your parts, some suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.
Your post only mentions firewall but your title implies a broader spectrum of security apps.  This should include apps to protrect against viruses and malware.  I'll suggest avast antivirus free and Malwarebytes AntiMalware and SUPERAntiSpyware. 

fatfingers25

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:18:50 PM »
Is there a reason why you dont want to use zone alarm or are you just curious as to all the options out there?

In the past I have used Zone Alarm, however these days my software firewall is just the built in Windows Firewall.

I installed AVG to my one system the one day and it gave me a trial of the firewall that AVG has, but I had to disable the AVG firewall because it was never intended for exceptions to be added.

The problem I had with AVG Firewall is that I have a cross over cable between 2 systems ( Gaming System and a Regular Workstation ) to transfer large video files created with Fraps on the one gaming system to the other workstation system that processes these large 20+ GB files and turns them into small like 700MB AVI files to post on Youtube for our guild events. This way the workstation can crunch out the large files while the gaming sytems CPU is free to continue gaming etc without the CPU trying to game and process video files at the same time into AVI's. AVG Firewall had no options at all to add an exception to allow these 2 systems to communicate through this trusted cross over cable. So I had to disable AVG Firewall.

Zone Alarm I used mainly years ago with my Windows 2000 Pro Pentium 166Mhz workstation so that I could somewhat safely use it online. Windows XP was the first OS to come with built in firewall and prior to that you had to install Norton Security, Zone Alarm, or some other firewall to protect a system from port probes etc such as back in the days of dial-up when without a firewall people could find your system if it had a vulnerability and mess with it.

I stopped using Zone Alarm when they came out with a newer version and dropped support for Windows 2000. I then moved on to XP with its built in firewall, and then 7 with its built in firewall.

These days though of broadband internet if you have a router between your modem and your computer your pretty well protected through the hardware firewall as long as the default password was changed on the router so that someone cant get into it and make it wide open.

Ok i understand sir dave, i will trust my router and my built-in firewall, thanks for this. will research more about security in windows 7, in regards to video editing, are you using adobe after effects? or maybe one of these such as sony vegas pro, 3ds max, adobe lightroom and illustrator?
Forgive and Forget!

fatfingers25

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 07:19:39 PM »
Your post only mentions firewall but your title implies a broader spectrum of security apps.  This should include apps to protrect against viruses and malware.  I'll suggest avast antivirus free and Malwarebytes AntiMalware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Thank you sir, i forgot about malwarebytes and i will download it now. Thank you for your suggestion. Good day. :)
Forgive and Forget!