Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Touchscreen stopped working on laptop after update  (Read 4348 times)

Gypsyboo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Touchscreen stopped working on laptop after update
    « on: May 09, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
    Hello, I am hoping I put this in the right section but wasnt sure exactly where it should go. I have a new ((about 3 months old)) Acer Aspire r7 with a touchscreen. Last night when it turned on it said windows had to update. After restart my touchscreen quit working.  I tried contacting Acer and the tech on the phone said I had to restore everything to default which would mean losing all my applications I have installed. I really hate to think of doing that as i have several big programs such as photoshop that I would hate to lose. Can anyone please please help with this?
    Thank you so much, Becca

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Touchscreen stopped working on laptop after update
    « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »
    The good thing is that this is a laptop and not a tablet, and so you can connect a USB mouse to this for controls. With a USB mouse installed, I would roll back the update to a previous restore point. Then with the touch screen hopefully working again, then try the update again. If the update truely is the cause for the loss of touch screen controls, we can go from there and reinstall the touchscreen driver. And hopefully the reinstallation of the driver will fix this. The reason to go backwards first to a restore point before going forward with just reinstallation of the driver now, is because we want to get the touch screen back to a working state so we know that the hardware for the touch screen is in fact still good.