Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Friends son gave me some questions regarding computer languages to focus on  (Read 19489 times)

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
I can highly recommend the tutorials from "TheNewBoston" on YouTube.  He has loads of tutorials including ones for Python and Java: https://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston/playlists

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
I can highly recommend the tutorials from "TheNewBoston" on YouTube.  He has loads of tutorials including ones for Python and Java: https://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston/playlists

"This is a variable... This is a variable... Variables hold numbers and stuff...."
*15 minutes later*
"This is a variable too"

Stay tuned for the next episode and don't forget to rate comment and subscribe!

The best comparison is that things like the Language, platform, and library documentation is an animal encyclopedia, your average programming book is a annotated reference to that encyclopedia, and thenewboston is one of those toys where you spin the arrow and it tells you what sound farm animals make.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
The best comparison is that things like the Language, platform, and library documentation is an animal encyclopedia, your average programming book is a annotated reference to that encyclopedia, and thenewboston is one of those toys where you spin the arrow and it tells you what sound farm animals make.

Thank You BC for the much needed laugh on a 12 hr shift  ;D

Also Thanks Cameron for the suggestion. I have used Youtube for other how to videos such as guitar techniques for playing my Ibanez electric for certain music that has you performing some tricky finger work etc, as well as being able to see the insides of my oil furnace pump motor assy before servicing it to know what parts and tools are needed etc which allowed me to fix my own furnace this winter for $7 in parts. Haven't used it for looking at programming yet, but will look at the videos thenewboston has.

Back when I learned programming in the early 1980s with Basic with the TRS-80 Model 1 with 16k RAM, it was all hands on by learning it out of a book that came with the computer which may have been called TRS Basic with an Hour Glass like symbol for Tandy. All the cool programs to really learn from were by taking 1 or 2 hours to carefully type in a program out of the TRS-80 Magazine called the 80 Micro which was a Monthly magazine with all sorts of programs printed in it that you could type manually into your computer and save to Cassette tape or if your lucky a single sided 5.25" floppy disk. Some were games, others were how to control sprites on the display etc for a starburst effect etc. Back in those days I learned quickly to debug code when either I messed up typing it in or there was a typo in the magazine and you had to find the typo which was sometimes like Wheres Waldo trying to find a missing ( : or ; ) when on a single line you can have multiple instructions such as [ 5 For N=1 to 255:?chr$(N);" = ";N:Next N ] and the ? was a faster shorthand for PRINT and when you performed LIST to see the code the ? would be PRINT which was a faster programming method for all the many PRINT instructions.

Some people learn by watching a video etc which would be similar to a teacher who talks and doesnt take questions and others learn by the book  reading and then typing the code in and watching the program either run correctly, run with unintended results, or fail to run or compile depending on if its a true language that needs to be compiled or a scripting language that would simply state an error at say Line 14.

vikrantrana

• Experience: Guru
    Thanks for the info.
    I would also like to share my experience regarding learning programming language. When I was pursuing my degree, I was in dilemma in choosing between java and python. I learned C/C++ but now it was the time to choose between the top languages in the market. After lot of research, I decided to move on with python. In the beginning, I faced lot of issues while learning python from online resources but then i found one of the best python tutorial online which helped me a lot to learn and master the programming in python.
    So, I would like to recommend to check out this online python resource for in-depth knowledge in python. They have also added python projects in tutorial which gives a practical hand on python with professional exposure.
    I hope it helps.
    Happy Learning!