Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC dies during startup, see screenshot  (Read 3384 times)

Invader4000

Topic Starter

• Experience: Expert
    PC dies during startup, see screenshot
    « on: May 12, 2014, 11:09:02 PM »
    Was about to leave the house for vacation, but needed to check something before going..

PC started like it normally, bit seemed a bit slow. And then it froze where i took the screenshot. What could be the problem? I have pulled out all but one stick of memory out, same error, the single post beep is there, but hdd is not spinning up, still spinning slowly tho.. I took the screenshot because to me it looks like something is missing there

Please help:)

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: PC dies during startup, see screenshot
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:37:39 PM »
    How many hard drives are currently in your machine? I see only one being detected there, as well as an optical drive.

The hard drive spinning up is not enough to determine if the disk if faulty or not. If the HDD is not spinning up correctly then this is the almost guaranteed cause of your issue, it could also be the PSU not delivering correct voltage to the drive, but this would also likely mean the machine would not boot at all.

I assume you are now away on vacation anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it for now, go and gave a good vacation and make a new post once you get back :)

Invader4000

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:28:43 PM »
      Hi there

I only use one disk, and one optical drive so that is normal
      I dont think the disk is spinning up normally, feels like it only spinning slowly
      But i wonder what that purple 'U' in the corner means?
      PSU is pretty new, dont think that is the issue:)

So i should try with another disk at first? Then try a new psu?:)

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 03:38:47 PM »
      Okay not on vacation yet  ;D Are you able to give some more details on the machine? Brand, model, and any other specifications will help.

Because the machine is powering on and I assume staying on until you turn it off, the PSU is likely okay, but cannot be ruled out yet.

I forgot to ask, do you have any USB hard drives plugged into the machine? If you do try unplugging these and boot again.

Does the drive make any clicking, surging or odd noises?

Other than that the easiest way to tell if a drive is faulty would be to grab a spare USB pen drive, a 2GB drive is enough.
      Note that this will require you to format the USB drive so back up everything on it if you want to keep it.

Use another machine to follow these instructions:
      http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Boot from the USB, try tapping F8,F9 or F12 while the BIOS first screen is on your monitor, one of these should give you a boot device selection screen.

If Linux boots and you can access the drive, navigate folders etc the drive is 99% likely okay.

I admit the I noticed the purple U up in the top corner, this could be a symbol meaning that BIOS completed its tests successfully. It could also mean the BIOS has had to halt but I cannot seem to find any information on a purple U in the top corner.

EDIT: had another thought just now, unplug the Hard drive and see if the BIOS progresses further, giving a message similar to "Operating System not found".

eQuilibrium

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 12:39:34 AM »
        Check your Master-Slave connections. One device has to be primary..