Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop acting suspicious  (Read 3384 times)

ckorr2013

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Laptop acting suspicious
    « on: May 13, 2014, 01:11:57 AM »
    Hi. I have a Gateway W350A (aka T-1616) that is acting a little suspicious starting yesterday. Every time I go to turn it on, it begins to load and I get the blue 'hang' screen (windows xp) so fast it's literally a blip and it reboots. Then, when it asks I select 'start windows normally' and it boots up just fine. I have, in the past, had hang screen issues on many computers and always resolved the issue - but it was always a problem. This time, I am able to get it to work every time just by trying to start twice. I'm a bit confused. If it were a hardware or software problem, it would seem to be present the second time I log in as well (on each occasion). The laptop had been overheating recently and turning off; but I blew out the ventilation system the other day and speedfan and coretemp have shown the cpu operating at normal temperatures since so I no longer have that problem. However, I find it suspicious this has started happening since I fixed that issue. Part of me thinks perhaps the cpu was damaged by overheating or some files became corrupted, but I thought either of these would cause either a permanent hang at startup, irregular startups, or random errors. So far, it is the same thing each time (so there's regularity) and immediate success booting on the second attempt. If I were booting under 'last known good configuration' I'd understand, but I am just telling it to boot normally on the second go round. I am well aware that in these forums, giving a little information and asking what you think is happening is a bit like telling a doctor by phone you have a spot on your leg and expecting him/her to tell you if it's ebola or a bug bite; but still - what is your best guess what is going on here? Thanks.

ckorr2013

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Laptop acting suspicious
      « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »
      Issue resolved: Turns out Speedfan itself causes the giveio.sys to hang. Removing the program solved the problem.