Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to remove a my computer sidebar  (Read 4764 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Trying to remove a my computer sidebar
« on: May 13, 2014, 12:32:06 PM »
Well today when typing up an invoice the cat decided to jump up and land on my keyboard as I was in that program.   ::) The windows key I believe got bumped because it brought me out of program to desktop but didnt end the program, and then "My Computer" was added as a side bar to the left side of the screen with drives etc. I quickly got the cat off the keyboard, but was trying to figure out how to remove/disable this.

I thought maybe it was a bug or something and so I rebooted, but upon reboot its back  :-\

The only option I see is to autohide with a check box or not. Well this hides it off to the left but when the mouse goes to the far left it pops back out.

Below is a snippet from screenshot.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Re: Trying to remove a my computer sidebar
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
Ok...   I found it... somehow the cat enabled the "My Computer" Toolbar. I was able to go to Tool Bars -> from the menu in this and uncheck the My Computer to remove it.  ;D ::)

Also found out how the cat did this. My computer must have been selected after the cat closed out the invoice program and mouse left click was held down maybe by me, and my computer moved slightly to the left which enabled this to appear like it did.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 12:47:50 PM »
They should have listed it as the "My Cat" toolbar from Day One...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »
They should have listed it as the "My Cat" toolbar from Day One...

LOL  ;D

So I decided to post the fix in case anyone else ever has this happen, either due to a cat or accidental dragging of the My Computer to the left side like what appeared to happen here through the assistance of a cat.

Fix = Right-Click on white area in the ToolBar , then select Toolbars, and then uncheck My Computer from the list.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:15:12 PM »
Interestingly the ability to dock folders to the side of the desktop was a rogue feature.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 08:16:15 PM »
Thanks for the interesting read BC ... I found this the most interesting..

We strongly suspect that it was another rogue feature added by a specific developer who had a history of slipping in rogue features.

With how many people work on the code, you would think that there would be not just a single developer who slipped in a feature, but that the feature would be a small group that worked on code. With all the overlap you would think that slipping anything in unnoticed etc would be next to impossible, so I would think that it would be not exactly slipped in with so many people working on an OS at Microsoft unless they have loose content control.

Also a list of all the rogue features that this "developer" slipped in would be interesting.  ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 02:19:58 AM »
With how many people work on the code, you would think that there would be not just a single developer who slipped in a feature, but that the feature would be a small group that worked on code.
Not really. Most big source codebases are managed at multiple levels. Eg, there will be one group working on some high-level new feature, another working on another, etc. But they don't commit to the same source code repository, rather they commit to branches.

So, say there is group A and Group B working on adding their own new addition with Windows 7.

When Group A starts, they basically take a copy of the current Master Branch of the Source code- in whatever state it happens to be in- and then make their changes. Group B does the same when they start. Changes made by Group A will not be visible in the source control repository that Group B works in, nor vice versa.

When the features are in an appropriate shape to be added into the main trunk build, they merge their branch; eg. when Group A's feature is ready to be integrated they Merge their Branched repository with the new feature into the main one. This usually involves resolving conflicts where other changes have changes files that the branch has that cannot be resolved automatically.

It would be trivial to slip in a rogue feature when working in one of those groups, because it will only be visible code-wise to those working in that smaller group. It's also not like Programmers make a habit of randomy perusing commit logs unless it happens to be relevant to what they are doing.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.