Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problems with Lenovo  (Read 3318 times)

sherry!

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    problems with Lenovo
    « on: May 14, 2014, 03:21:33 PM »
    Lenovo H515- I.E 11-dial up
    Don't understand this p.c. at all. Have 3 address bars; one is I.E., 2 are my I.S.P. , takes forever to download whatever site I want. Much to slow for a new p.c, even using dialup. I started using Google Chrome, thinking it would be faster ; it isn't ! How to get rid of it ? I have more issues, but would like to solve them one at at a time. Help, please ?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: problems with Lenovo
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 04:03:55 PM »
    If you go to add remove programs in Control Panel you can uninstall Chrome.

As far as IE, your probably looking at a browser with multiple toolbars at the top? Can you create a screenshot of what you are looking at by pressing the print screen key and then open up mspaint and paste the screenshot to that, and then save it as a jpg format file and attach it here so we can see what you have in IE that is the problem to you?

As far as dial-up goes....... there is no way to speed it up really, however a work around to make pages load faster is using a Cache feature or a local proxy so that a site that was visited once before, if the images on the site have remained the same, those pictures are not redownloaded to display the website, but instead the local Cache of the last visited sites or local proxy service has those stored and so the webpage loads as fast or even faster that as if you had a broadband connection because its directly loaded from your computers hard drive.

However I used a proxy years ago and the benefits of it were minimal mainly because sites like Yahoo change very frequently and so you check it out now and then go to check it out in a few minutes and the site has already changed and so its just about always having to download new images. In addition to that they have ad image rotations and so if you as much as even press the F5 key to refrech the site your at, now its having to download and display a completely different ad image or aminated flash to you.

The days of comfortably surfing with dial-up are pretty much gone, as for almost everyone is on faster internet connections and so websites have gone from Dial-up friendly to Broadband friendly with the rest of the slower methods of connecting to the internet feeling the pain of the long load times and time outs etc.

Dial-up these days works ok with checking e-mail and sites that are not fancy, but those that are full of modern features are not a good pair up with dial-up.

Just out of curiousity though...how is the overall performance of this computer otherwise? And have you scanned for malware and virus's to make sure you dont have any other problems adding to the pains of dial-up lag?

MalwareBytes is a good program to download and install if you haven't already. The download might take a while with dial up for the 12MB which I think the file is in size to install it, and then it has to connect and get latest definition/blacklist updates and then you can scan for Browser Bars that you may not want which it will offer to remove for you if they are bad etc.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/02_r/?gclid=CIvA2tW1rL4CFYxufgod6l0AZw

sherry!

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: problems with Lenovo
      « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 01:39:48 PM »
      Thanks, Dave. You're right on about dial-up being a thing of the past. Just don't work anymore ! Will try to send you a screenshot if I can't solve it myself.