Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow Connection Speed with LAN Cable  (Read 5653 times)

lucius100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Slow Connection Speed with LAN Cable
    « on: May 14, 2014, 11:41:32 PM »
    Okay, this problem really give me headache for a while.
    The problem is my Speedtest result usually get 1Mbps, and if i use LAN cable to connect the internet, it Suppeerr slow, can't even open google page, take about 5 minutes to open google. Then i use usb cable to connect internet, and the speed got 1Mbps normal. I already tried several method

1. Replace new cable LAN
    2. Reformat Windows 7
    3. Reset my modem router TD-8817
    4. use external LAN Card

and the problem still not solved, i don't know what to do anymore, the speed is normal when i use usb, but if i use usb, it's often show not responding when i click network and sharing center, and when i boot my computer, then browsing, it takes about 5 minutes before connect to internet

And so my problem is like
    1.With USB Cable = Speed become normal but always not responding when open the network center
    2. With LAN Cable = Speed become super slow can't even open simple site like google, and it takes about 5 minute to open google page.

Solution please  ??? ???

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Slow Connection Speed with LAN Cable
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »
    I would suggest getting a router to connect to your Cable or DSL modem, then connect your computer to the router via Cat5 cable.

You will want to turn the modem on first, and then wait 2 or 3 minutes and then turn on the router and wait about a minute, and then turn on the computer with the Cat5 cable connected on.

Then you may have better luck with connection speed with the router offering a DHCP (IP) lease to the computer and the router talks with the modem as an intermediary. This also gives you an additional security barrier that you dont already have which is a Hardware Firewall to avoid getting hacked on your computer.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:28:09 PM »
    Also, how your ISP does the Internet connection is relevant.
    Some may require a specific MAC to work properly. Review the instructions from your local ISP and see what they recommend.

Also, One Mega bit per second is very poor. Most nowadays are 3 Mbps or better.

lucius100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:48:17 AM »
      i check the problem with ping and i found out that it's because of request time out
      but it's not the dns problem, i use google dns or my isp dns still the same
      LAN Cable only cause this problem but not with usb cable
      when i ping with LAN Cable there's many Request time out at least 3 out of 5 ping
      and when i ping with usb cable i never have the RTO problem
      it's not like this before, it's just recently it become like this, wonder if it caused by faulty modem router