Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help needed getting a new graphics card  (Read 3707 times)

halpmepl0x

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Help needed getting a new graphics card
    « on: May 17, 2014, 10:27:54 AM »
    Here's my system and graphics card info:

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 5/17/2014, 09:14:47
           Machine name: ECKHARDT
       Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.101014-0432)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
           System Model: NP238AA-ABA e9107c
                   BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/28/09 16:39:33 Ver: 5.03
              Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q8200  @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
                 Memory: 8190MB RAM
              Page File: 3192MB used, 13389MB available
            Windows Dir: C:\Windows
        DirectX Version: DirectX 10

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
            Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4350
         Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
            Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x954F)
             DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
       Display Memory: 3570 MB
     Dedicated Memory: 502 MB
        Shared Memory: 3067 MB
         Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I want to upgrade to Windows 7, I want to upgrade to DirectX 11, and I want to be able to play games in my monitor's full 1920 x 1080 instead of having to pick the lowest resolutions to get anywhere near decent performance. With those in mind, does anyone have any graphics card recommendations? Also, I'd like to keep it under $300. Thanks!

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help needed getting a new graphics card
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:45:31 AM »
    Personally I wouldn't go mental and get a really powerful card as you'll start to find your CPU is also a limitation in modern games.  I'd recommend something such as an NVIDIA GeForce 750ti.  You would also find that if you were to go above the 750ti to something like a 760 you would need to upgrade your power supply to cope which would be around and extra $70 for a quality unit, the 750ti on the other hand will be happy on your current 300w PSU.

You aren't going to get crazy performance in all games on a card like the 750ti but it will run pretty much everything at your full resolution, you may just need to turn down the detail settings on some more intensive games down to medium/high instead of ultra.

A card like this would do the job fine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025

halpmepl0x

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »
      Personally I wouldn't go mental and get a really powerful card as you'll start to find your CPU is also a limitation in modern games.  I'd recommend something such as an NVIDIA GeForce 750ti.  You would also find that if you were to go above the 750ti to something like a 760 you would need to upgrade your power supply to cope which would be around and extra $70 for a quality unit, the 750ti on the other hand will be happy on your current 300w PSU.

You aren't going to get crazy performance in all games on a card like the 750ti but it will run pretty much everything at your full resolution, you may just need to turn down the detail settings on some more intensive games down to medium/high instead of ultra.

A card like this would do the job fine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025
      Thanks, sounds reasonable.

jackj

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 12:56:13 AM »
        If you're on a low budget, you can always use a 660ti boost :)