Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel+PowerPoint 2007  (Read 3265 times)

solap9

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Excel+PowerPoint 2007
    « on: May 20, 2014, 06:39:33 AM »
    How can I insert in PPT presentation numbers from Excel file, which can be updated if I change data in this Excel file? Thank you

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Excel+PowerPoint 2007
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »
    If you place a hyperlink in your powerpoint that points locally to the XLS, you can have it where it is selectable from within the power point presentation and then when it opens you then have your Excel document with graphs etc.

For the fact that powerpoint if copy/pasting a graph or content from excel to powerpoint is no longer further associated with the original excel spreadsheet, to keep information fresh from the excel spreadsheet, its best for powerpoint to reference the current excel spreadsheet via hyperlink to the file locally or on a network share or even on the web.

The above hyperlink is the method I have used in the past with presentations for referencing data that changes frequently.

Here is another method involving macros to update the content, but I have never tried this myself, found this on a google search for "dynamic xls content in powerpoint ", your xls is dynamic since its ever changing: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/37b4f6e7-25b3-40bc-8eb5-7d4a8a748769/powerpoint-dynamic-link-to-excel?forum=officeitproprevious

DishyBishy

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 03:35:54 AM »
      Dave is exactly right.

I've done so many presentations where I needed to refer to excel and data collected. A hyperlink is your best bet unless you want to go in and change all the information on your powerpoint before you give the presentation or distribute it (but I doubt that you want to or have the time to do that).

solap9

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 04:49:26 AM »
        Thank you. I have done that. The last thing in this presentation is: on each slide there needs to be date (right up) and page number in the bottom (middle). How to do that? If I open Header and footer, it shows that and it makes just footer and nothnig in header:

http://shrani.si/f/3S/l3/1HnhFkmW/untitled.png

Thank you very much. Best

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »
        The Date/Time box needs to be checked as for without it checked its greyed out - disabled, then click on apply to save this change.

Unfortunately I have not used this feature before to help with placement on the powerpoint, but I would think that it should allow for you to place it where you want it as a normal object similar to how a text box or image can be moved.

I also dont have Office 2007 or PowerPoint 2007 to be able to play around with it at my end. The last version of Office I bought was 2003 and since then I moved over to Open Office and then Libre Office which are free and plenty of features and cross file compatible with MS Office formats.