Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power button will not turn on computer but MB will HELP!!  (Read 7236 times)

pcurtj1974

Re: Power button will not turn on computer but MB will HELP!!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 04:47:22 PM »
Ok, so get this, on a fresh install it works fine. As soon as I load a driver, kaboom, it does this power switch thing....... could it be the case???

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 05:19:26 PM »
Return it...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pcurtj1974

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »
I returned it and it is doing
 the same thing, returned it again and still doing it.   ARUGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 08:50:49 AM »
Returned what ? ?...the MBoard...or the Case ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pcurtj1974

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 03:06:10 PM »
MB, I'm buying a new case today. A friend told me the wiring in the house could be the culprit. Not sure how that works... It is just so freaking odd that on reboot it works fine but not from cold boot. For some reason this board is not fully discharging. I'm reading problems like this all over and no one seems to have a real solution other than a work around. I think I am going to go buy an ASUS..... This has me completely stupefied and in my 25+ years of building computers I have never had this problem...

pcurtj1974

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »
It just sticks because within one week, all three of my gaming computer went ....zonk! I still have a e3300 and a q6600 but I want my i5 2500K, i7 920 and AMD 8320!!

pcurtj1974

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 03:11:57 PM »
Granted I work for a Newegg like company so I get mega discounts and I have resorted to giving my computers to the techs here to fix. It just hurts my pride.....

pcurtj1974

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »
ALSO, anyone know how to get XP to run on the ASrock z77 and the AMD board?? I get a blue screen on both during the 1st phase of install.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 03:25:47 PM »
Of interest is the MemOK button itself. You mentioned early on that you need to press that to get the system to cold boot.

Apparently this is a "MemOK!" button that is designed to overcome boot failures caused by memory incompatibility.

As far as I can tell when there is an incompatibility a LED labeled "DRAM_LED" should light up. Pressing "MEM OK!" is effectively saying "Yes, Motherboard, despite what you think the Memory is OK" and allows it to boot despite it's checks. I'm not certain 100% how it might interact with the system, but this could be why Cold Boots require such interaction- each time you cold boot you need to effectively tell the motherboard that it's OK. I would expect if nothing else it get's saved to the CMOS RAM, but that appears to not be the case. It might be worth verifying that the Memory being used is entirely compatible or on the QVL list for the motherboard.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 03:26:44 PM »
ALSO, anyone know how to get XP to run on the ASrock z77 and the AMD board?? I get a blue screen on both during the 1st phase of install.

Did you disable AHCI and enable IDE Legacy or use a Driver Disc or slipstreamed AHCI Install Disc?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

pcurtj1974

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 12:00:06 AM »
Well, problem solved. I went to microcenter and bought a mid case (open box for 20.00), switched over the build and now it works just fine. Nice and fast. Glad to have it working. I'm using it now. Thanks to all that replied. I still have one more computer to fix with similar problems but now I have a starting point for fixing that too. Phew.... ::) Played Bioshock 2 highest detail and smooth as can be....

I like this AMD build.... performs on par with my OC'd i7 920 to 3.8 GHz and the AMD only has one HD5850. 150 for the cpu and Asus MB, not bad at all.... Now I just need to get my i5 2500K working....