Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No video, guidelines to find another system to use?  (Read 2472 times)

shadowz85

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    No video, guidelines to find another system to use?
    « on: May 25, 2014, 02:43:44 PM »
    I have a Dell Dimension 8200 purchased in 2002. The computer sounds like it's booting, but there is no video.

-There is four or five years of entering ancestry information that would be difficult to replicate - hence the effort to get this working (it was transferred to a new computer a year ago, but that one is no longer available)
    - There may have been a power surge
    - When the computer boots, you can hear the drive working - if you remember the days of XP when it would run out of ram it would use the hard drive and you could hear the hard drive chunking away, that's what it sounds like
    - There are no beeps from the motherboard when it boots... the kind you expect to hear when there is a hardware problem
    - The fans work
    - The lights on the network card don't light up
    - There is an AGP slot and an available PCI slot, I put in a number of AGP cards... it does not have onboard video, the current video card is a 4x NVidea card.. I tried another 2/4x video card as well as multiple other AGP cards that I have - no change.
    - There is an open PCI slot. I put a pci video card in and there is still no video

I put the hard drive into a Dell Dimension 8300 and I got the BSOD with a message that it couldn't boot and it would stop now to prevent damage

Do you have any other recommendations? I originally thought that it would be easy to find another Dimension that I could put this drive in just to be able to boot the program. If I can boot the program, I can export the data into a format that can be put into a new computer. But, I haven't been able to find an 8200 (I thought the 8300 would be close enough, but it's not).

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: No video, guidelines to find another system to use?
    « Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »
    Stop using it immediately...a chunking sound is not good and could ruin your chance at data recovery.

To get the data have another PC ready with a HDD that has enough free space and folders setup as you want...as you may get only 1 chance.

In order to retrieve the data it has to be hooked up as a slave drive...you had it connected as a boot drive. This does not work because Windows is designed to move from 1 PC to the next.
    If it's an older IDE HDD the jumper by the connectors needs to be set to slave before proceeding.

Grab the most important files 1st as i said you may only get 1 chance...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "