Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Putting password on my network  (Read 2278 times)

pursuant

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
    Putting password on my network
    « on: July 21, 2015, 11:52:02 AM »
    I asked this before but it dead ended. I am hoping someone can help me out and tell me how I can password protect my network. I have two networks set up, one is hidden and can't be accessed unless you know its name, the other is just open. It was set up by a tech guy I hired and he is no longer available. I think form my previous post that you have to access the router settings from a web browser? I got as far as identifying the router but did not get any further response.

Thanks

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=151306.new;topicseen#new

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Putting password on my network
    « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:42:17 PM »
    This might help. Its best to factory reset that router and set it up yourself to learn how to configure it and set your own password. I always use Mac Filtering which requires knowing what the mac addresses are for all devices that will connect as well so that even with password they are out of luck without a mac address match.

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wired-Routers/setting-up-router-BEFSR81-v3-1-default-password-not-admin/td-p/63548

pursuant

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Putting password on my network
      « Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »
      Thanks, that's  a little over my head. I don't want to do anything that will jeopardize what I have already. And I am just not tech savvy enough .
      Thanks anyway