Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to judge a solid-state drive?  (Read 3498 times)

namjic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    How to judge a solid-state drive?
    « on: May 30, 2014, 08:36:38 PM »
    I need to upgrade my laptop, the first step is buying a solid-state-drive, but I am beginner of the hardware, I need some advice. I take an interest in KINGSTON V300. Its capacity is 120GB, it is big enough for me, and the main controller of drive is SandForce 2281. The max sequential read is up to 450MB/s, the speed of 4KB random read is 85,000 IOPS. The hard drive uses SATA3 interface, its working temperature is 0℃ - 70℃. These are the main parameters of drive, should I buy this solid-state-drive. i do hope get some advice. However, why the price of same drive is different between two site?

http://www.tinydeal.com/kingston-25-120gb-ssd-v300-px29pf7-p-128408.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120GB-Kingston-SSDNow-V300-SATA-6-0Gb-s-2-5-Solid-State-Drive-SV300S37A-120G-/400417743537?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item5d3ac1e2b1

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to judge a solid-state drive?
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »
    I'd generally avoid anything with a Sandforce controller, they have had a lot of issues in the past.  Something like a Crucial M500/M550 would be a great value option.

fabiovidic

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:48:19 AM »
      I need to upgrade my laptop, the first step is buying a solid-state-drive, but I am beginner of the hardware, I need some advice. I take an interest in KINGSTON V300. Its capacity is 120GB, it is big enough for me, and the main controller of drive is SandForce 2281. The max sequential read is up to 450MB/s, the speed of 4KB random read is 85,000 IOPS. The hard drive uses SATA3 interface, its working temperature is 0℃ - 70℃. These are the main parameters of drive, should I buy this solid-state-drive. i do hope get some advice. However, why the price of same drive is different between two site?

http://www.tinydeal.com/kingston-25-120gb-ssd-v300-px29pf7-p-128408.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120GB-Kingston-SSDNow-V300-SATA-6-0Gb-s-2-5-Solid-State-Drive-SV300S37A-120G-/400417743537?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item5d3ac1e2b1

you should not buy this ssd, I strongly recommend you Crucial too, the best solid-state-drive.

kraceyleo

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 04:26:40 AM »
        Hey guys, what's the difference between move harddrive and this solid-state-drive?

namjic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 08:52:57 PM »
          I'd generally avoid anything with a Sandforce controller, they have had a lot of issues in the past.  Something like a Crucial M500/M550 would be a great value option.

thanks for your reply, and what is the advantage of Crucial, speed or other?

namjic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »
            you should not buy this ssd, I strongly recommend you Crucial too, the best solid-state-drive.

what's your comment on crucial, it is durable, fast or cost-effective?

namjic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:02:22 PM »
              Hey guys, what's the difference between move harddrive and this solid-state-drive?

the biggest difference is speed, it also has great performance without noise.