Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help Me Decide Which Used PC To Buy Please!  (Read 4609 times)

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    Help Me Decide Which Used PC To Buy Please!
    « on: May 31, 2014, 10:38:35 PM »
    I've decided to buy one of these. There is only a small difference in the price, but on the other hand, all I do is a little ebaying, emailing and such on my pc. I do not play games. I do not do business stuff online either. So would the more powerful pc make any real difference for someone like me? Would it play online streaming videos better, for example?
    Here are my 2 choices:

1) Dell Pre-Owned, Refurbished Black GX520 Desktop PC with Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 2GB Memory, 160GB Hard Drive and Windows 7 Home Premium (Monitor Not Included) $130.95

2) Dell Pre-Owned, Refurbished 755 Small Form Factor Desktop PC with Intel Dual-Core Processor, 2GB Memory, 250GB Hard Drive and Windows 7 Home Premium (Monitor Not Included) $143.54

Any advice/words of wisdom appreciated from this dumb-as-dirt-about-computers-gal!

Breadcrumb

Call me "Breadcrumb". I'm certainly crummy at computer stuff!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help Me Decide Which Used PC To Buy Please!
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:57:42 PM »
    I have both. The 250 will allow a half high video  card, if you want.
    The 755 has a little better performance.  But  any people really hate the Small Form Factor. But it works for me.  Small and cute curt. Not room for anything. Only two RAM slots Actually, that is true of both machines.
     If you have a choice, ask for the 64 bit Windows 7. It works fine of both machines.
    Be sure and get another RAM stick. It will help load time.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:01:36 AM »
    Personally I would go with (2) because it is a more modern PC, is smaller and neater, has a bigger hard drive, and is likely to run cooler and quieter. Pentium 4 machines are an older generation. One thing that CPU had a reputation for is running warm, so Pentium 4 machines tended to have noisy fans. In fact I would definitely choose (2).

I think in view of your intended use, you can pretty well ignore the comments above about RAM sticks, etc.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 07:18:37 AM »
    As said above, the second is significantly better in terms of the CPU power as well as being a generally more up to date machine.  Being so small you can't add in any expansion cards but for your needs I can't imagine this being an issue.

The only thing I see with it is that it only has a DVI monitor output whereas your monitor probably uses a VGA connector due to its age.  Thankfully if it does turn out that your monitor does not have the appropriate connector, all you need is a cheap adatper like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Manhattan-DVI-I-Dual-Link-Male-to-VGA-Female-Digital-Video-Adapter-PC/19415385

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 11:25:12 AM »
    The vendor of the 755 should include both the DVI splitter and the external PSU .

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 11:48:05 AM »
    The vendor of the 755 should include both the DVI splitter and the external PSU .

I'm assuming we are dealing with this machine here due to the exact match on the title of the page and price: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Refurbished-755-Small-Form-Factor-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Dual-Core-Processor-2GB-Memory-250GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Monitor-Not/29701020

They list the power adapter being included (obviously) but not the DVI adapter.  While the power adapter is essential for getting the machine running, the DVI-VGA adapter is not as long as you are using a suitable monitor and even if the machine did include one from the factory it will likely be long gone.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
    camerongray is right. The y include mouse and keyboard, but  omit  the DVI splitter. The price is good and  includes  a warranty, so It looks like best choice.  I like my 755, and I think you will too.
    Support and Warranty:
        1-year limited hardware warranty; 24/7 technical assistance available online or toll-free by phone
        Recovery partition is installed on the hard drive with the Dell Refurbished Desktop PC with 2GB Memory and 250GB Hard Drive
    ;D

eQuilibrium

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 02:42:20 AM »

"
      All generalizations are false, including this one.  "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »
      "All generalizations are false, including this one."
      Do you have permission to say that?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 08:33:19 PM »
      All he's doing is quoting my sig...which he's been doing to an almost annoying level...
      About to lose his post priveledges rapidly...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

eQuilibrium

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:59:24 AM »
         :-X  ;D