Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't boot past Windows Error Recovery  (Read 4200 times)

a_lexsmith

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Can't boot past Windows Error Recovery
    « on: June 04, 2014, 10:31:54 AM »
    Hi Computerhope angels

I'm Running Vista on Dell Inspiron 1525.

After an attempt to update drivers and subsequently a couple of BSODs, it's currently booting into Windows Error Recovery.

All options fail - Safe Mode, Last Successful Configuration, Normal. The HDD light and screen both go blank. Last successful Configuration worked once, but not since.

I have the Vista Reinstallation disk but it doesn't autorun, so unable to boot from that.

Can you please help me to startup again?

Many thanks
    Alex

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't boot past Windows Error Recovery
    « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »
    Have  you never don a Windows installation? Vista or other?

It is not auto run. It must boot right after the computer does a quick memory and device test. The option to boot from DVD has to be on and the DVD has to b e in the PC at the beginning of the power on step.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/tp/install-windows-vista.htm

My recommendation is to NOT format the drive, but try to repair the system.
    Windows Vista Startup Repair
    A Windows Vista Startup Repair isn't technically a way to install Windows Vista, but it resembles a "reinstallation" enough that it's worth a mention here.
    In Windows XP, there was a process called a "repair install" which was essentially a way to overwrite all the important parts of Windows XP with files from the installation disc.
    A Windows Vista Startup Repair is similar, but a bit smarter. Instead of blindly overwriting files, it checks for issues first and then repairs only what's needed.
    Many a Windows Vista start-up issue can be fixed automatically with the Startup Repair tool, so please be sure to run this before trying something more destructive like a Windows Vista clean install.
    Does this help any? :)

a_lexsmith

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »
      Thanks for replying Geek9pm.

I've reinstalled Vista before. The Vista Reinstallation dvd is in the dvd drive on powerup, but I suspect the setting to boot from dvd it isn't on - and I can't get past Windows Error Recovery to change that setting. It feels like a Catch22...

Is there any other way to get the Reinstallation dvd to boot? Once I can do that, the Repair option is my next step.

Many thanks
      Alex

a_lexsmith

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »
        Just to clarify, the sequence of events is as follows:

- Insert Vista Reinstallation dvd
        - Power up
        - Dvd drive is briefly active but doesn't boot
        - Windows Error Recovery Screen appears (attached)
        - Have tried all Windows startup 'Other Options' - all result in blank screen and no further HDD or DVD activity.

But now I've found the solution! F12 key immediately on powerup gives option to boot from dvd - now into Repair option :-)