Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer is dieing  (Read 2982 times)

Mike Smith

My computer is dieing
« on: October 29, 2005, 10:09:25 AM »
I am having major problems with my computer. It is running very slowly, it can take a few minutes just to open up a browser or other program. It is always freezing up, so I have to turn off the system manualy, which cant be good for it. I purchased my comp about 5 months ago and it ran fine, even better when I upgraded my ram and video card. I recently got a dsl connection and have filled my hard drive almost completly full. I have 500 mb left. I dont know if that could be affecting it or not. I scan for virsus every week using both norton and ad-aware, and norton is my firewall as well. I dont belive its a virus. Other than that I havent did any thing to my comp.

System is-

Compaq Presario SR1403WM

Mike Smith

Re: My computer is dieing
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 10:12:50 AM »
Sorry for got to post specs

AMD Sempron 1.8 3000+
768 mb ram
70 gig HD
Nvidia GForce 4000mx video card
Windows XP

Please help me :(

R0SS

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 10:29:47 AM »
you have very high specs for something going so slow.

Well i think its a Virus.

i used Norton a year back and when ever i got a virus it would never be able to delete it. When i got my Anti virus now and scanned it found like 11 viruses that Norton over looked.

Try downloading the Microsoft anti-spyware and running that.

oh and i recommend getting another Anti-virus to back up Norton.

R0SS

Mac

Computer is drastically short of free drive-space!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 10:53:12 AM »
I am having major problems with my computer running very slowly. It can take a few minutes just to open up a browser or other program.

It is always freezing up, so I have to turn off the system manualy, which can't be good for it.

I purchased it about 5 months ago and it ran fine, even better when I upgraded my RAM and video card.

I recently got a DSL connection and have filled my hard drive almost completely full. I have 500 mb left.

I don't know if that could be affecting it or not.

I scan for virii every week using both Norton and AdAware, and Norton is my firewall as well.

I don't believe its a virus. Other than that I haven't done any thing to my computer.

Compaq Presario SR1403WM
AMD Sempron 1.8 3000+
768 mb ram
70 gig HD
Nvidia GForce 4000mx video card
Windows XP

Click on the link below and scroll down to Disk Cleanup. Your computer won't start if you leave it much longer with insufficient space for the paging file.

Mike Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 02:52:47 PM »
Ok I did all the things listed, and it helped a little. I deleted about 15 gigs worth of stuff too. But it was still running real slow, so I decided to reinstall windows. This did fix my problem, my comp is running great now.... exept I lost everything that was in My Document  :o  :o I dont understand what happened, when I look at my hard drive it tells me I have 16 gigs of free space, close to what I had before I renstalled. But I had ATLEAST 20 gig worth of video files in My Documen/My videos. But Its no longer there, and when I run a search I cant find it either!!

If it deleted it I would think it would show me with 40+ free HD space. So whats going on? what on earth did I do? Im realy confused, and getting very frustrated  :-[

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 03:29:33 PM »
I would bury it with all pc honours.......and have a pc priest to speak over the grave.......or send it to india.....where they screw up the world and themselves....by trying to extract the gold from the parts.

Mike Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 03:37:35 PM »
Thanks for not helping...

Sorry, Im not good with computers...  ???

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 03:40:35 PM »
What does the events log report......admin tools......

Do you use psp......bearshare/limewire/kazza....

What ram sticks are they......

Mike Smith

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 03:56:04 PM »
Sorry, dont know what events log report is.

I use BearShare, Ram is Super Talent DDR 184 Pin Dimm

dont know if thats what you need or not  :-/

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 04:06:43 PM »
something or some body ......may have taken over your pc.....the events log.......can be found in the control panel admin tools.......it list most things......

download  trend online and scan for bugs.......or spysweeper........or advanced system optimizer........use a search engine........download.com......is one of many.....

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 04:44:11 PM »
    Do a clean install, check your partitions as you do it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 06:23:18 PM »
    if you use p2p programs like bear share and yourt hard drive is almost full (meaning you use it a lot) you have an excellent chance of having spyware/adware/trojans. have you scanned for all of these? AVG alone is not enough.

The full hard drive is a problem, and you must delete some of these warez or Windows will not work right.