Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with the Wireless Adapter or Access point.  (Read 5924 times)

takkaryx

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Problem with the Wireless Adapter or Access point.
    « on: June 08, 2014, 08:32:46 PM »
    Hey.

I cannot connect to my main wireless connection on my school campus with my laptop. I can connect to that connection with my smart phone and can connect my laptops wireless to my smart phones hotspot as well. So I don't know what the issue is, i've tried heaps of suggestions online but none of them have worked so far.

Its only happened the last couple of days and i'm in study week for my final exams and i'm losing the plot here because its so important that I get this started up as soon as possible. I don't mind if I have to buy new hardware or what ever I just need it fixed asap.

Drivers are up to date, I tried uninstalling stuff and re-installing. I don't understand though, how can I connect to one wireless connection, but not another and the one I cannot connect to I can connect to with another device right next to it. :/

Thanks so much for your time people, will be checking often for answers.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Problem with the Wireless Adapter or Access point.
    « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 09:15:52 PM »
    You have already done the logical things. At this point the thing to try is a new external USB wireless adapter.  You may have to borrow a couple from your friends to see what will work on your laptop. When using the USB adapter, turn off the internal wireless.
    Wall-mart:

Amazon:

IMHO that is the safe way to fix your problem.

takkaryx

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »
      Willing to try everything! Ran out to the store and bought one, straight home and it worked!

I have one query though, I don't want to push my luck but the connection wizard with the new USB couldn't be completed because I don't have access to the router but when I went to the wireless connection and typed in my details it worked anyway? So just wondering what it did exactly, if the installation process hasn't even been completed.

Thanks all the same! :D YAY! I CAN STUDY AGAIN!.... Wait...  :-\

;)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »
      So it works?
      My personal experience with wireless things has been up and down.  Doing a little research, it seems many  users  have had the same  kind of thing.

Some adapters require near zero installation. Others have to be installed only with the CD from the maker. And brand name is not a sure think. That is why I said you might have to borrow a pair to find out. But if you got it to work, stop there!