Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: communication (millenium edition)  (Read 2823 times)

amiga

communication (millenium edition)
« on: October 29, 2005, 02:57:51 PM »
I was told that my communication in windows ME has to be reinstalled.  The problem is there was no operating system with this computer.  Is there a download I can access online.  The problem is I can get online but cannot access the internet.  Any suggestions/answers would be most welcomed.

Amiga :-/

merlin_2

Re: communication (millenium edition)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 04:49:27 PM »
What process told you this.....

amiga

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 05:10:16 PM »
my ISP - I was told that communication was corrupted.  I can get online but cannot access any web pages.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 05:17:07 PM »
What did you isp recommend......

amiga

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 05:27:26 PM »
Reinstalling the communication folder(?).  However, this computer did not come with the os on cd.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 05:43:15 PM »
Are we playing games........load the isp disk.....

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 06:01:14 PM »
What you need to do is configure the TCP/IP settings according to your providers wishes.

There are additional Windows services/applications that can be installed/uninstalled and those are indeed situated on the OS CD.

However, if these have become damaged you may wish to do an extensive virus/spyware scan and remove any legit software that could have altered these files.

Mac

Communication ME
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 05:01:39 AM »
I was told that my communication in Windows ME has to be reinstalled.

The problem is there was no operating system with this computer.  Is there a download I can access online.

The problem is I can get online but cannot access the internet.  Any suggestions/answers would be most welcome.

Amiga

It probably needs the DUN (Dial Up Networking) reinstalling.

If you go into Add-Remove Programs and Windows Components, find Dial Up Networking and uncheck the box. Click Apply and OK until the panel is closed, close the Control Panel and all other windows and re-boot.

Go through the same procedure and put the check mark back in, click Apply and OK, etc. and re-boot again.

This should re-build the connections, which may have been damaged by adware, and you should be able to proceed from there.

amiga

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 06:07:51 AM »
I have no issue with getting online.  When I try to access a web page, such as msn, the can't display this page message shows.  I tried what MAC suggested, unclicked DUN, etc.  However, this didn't work.  I did notice that on Communication, I read 0.4.  When I click on DUN, 0.0.  

Merlin 2:  no, I'm not playing games.  I have no cd for my Internet Service Provider nor Windows Microsoft Millenium Edition.  My ISP said I could copy from this cd but I don't have one.

Amiga

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 06:30:54 AM »
Can you receive E-mail or update programs, etc?

Everything that does not use port 80 works?

amiga

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 09:08:35 AM »
No I  can't access e-mail or updates.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 12:45:36 PM »

Maureen Egan

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 02:48:52 PM »
    I'm all set.  Thanks for all your input.  The culprit was the updated Booster service from my ISP, GWI.net.  I uninstalled the program and can now access the internet.

Amiga :D

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 02:58:17 PM »
    I'm all set.  Thanks for all your input.  The culprit was the updated Booster service from my ISP, GWI.net.  I uninstalled the program and can now access the internet.

Amiga :D

Booster service? Is that some sort of dialup accelerator? Uggh!